What did you do in your garden today?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't know how much you've traveled across Washington. There are signs on the freeway for "Apple Maggot Control Area. No homegrown fruit beyond this point." So many miles each side of the main apple growing area around Yakima.

Quickest way for me to get to Umatilla from here is north and over Snoqualmie Pass. We pass by Yakima so see both signs there then back.

There are vineyards on the Washington side of the Columbia right across from Umatilla. That goes north to Ellensburg.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Watered and mulched with ole nasty hay round. Only thing left, is for the Double A Vineyards grape vines to grow.
Screenshot_20240425_162432_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never been up in the area of Yakima. Maybe decades ago on the back of a motorcycle. Camped in Kennewick a bunch of years ago.

The vineyards are newer. Only last few decades. Columbia Crest was the first in the 80s I believe. Kennewick is huge now compared to how it was when I graduated in the early 90s. Them improving I-82 from Kennewick to Umatilla in the 80s means it's only 21 freeway miles to the Costco.

Hermiston has grown. Umatilla is stagnant on size because it's surrounded mostly by wildlife refuge. And lots of basalt. The population doubling since I graduated is only because they built a prison out there and those people count towards the population.

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The vineyards are newer. Only last few decades. Columbia Crest was the first in the 80s I believe. Kennewick is huge now compared to how it was when I graduated in the early 90s. Them improving I-82 from Kennewick to Umatilla in the 80s means it's only 21 freeway miles to the Costco.

Hermiston has grown. Umatilla is stagnant on size because it's surrounded mostly by wildlife refuge. And lots of basalt. The population doubling since I graduated is only because they built a prison out there and those people count towards the population.
Correct me if I am wrong, you are in Oregon near Pendleton?
Only asking because recognized Umatilla and Herminston names.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, you are in Oregon near Pendleton?
Only asking because recognized Umatilla and Herminston names.

Im in Washington near Tacoma. We needed to be near a base when hubby retired.

Family is mostly in Hermiston and Stanfield. Yes that's close to Pendleton. It's where I grew up. The two Walchli farms were my two great Uncles' places. Great aunts are still around. Watermelons are a big deal

Last edited: