What did you do in your garden today?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
... I'm seeing a few beets. Those beets that survive will be encouraged to go to seed for my first year of adaptation.

i think those bloom the 2nd season... if you want blooms this season you may want to get some already grown beets from the store and plant those to see if they will grow and bloom for you this season.

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@LaurenRitz ... At least you can replant potatoes. Well, where I live that is possible. I have them growing now and I'll put a couple varieties out late July for
Not sure yet how that will work. I'm thinking of potato towers.

On a related note, the Kenebec are sad but blooming, while the grocery store potatoes are all but dead

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Took a little garden stroll at lunch. 4 of 6 asparagus crowns pushed up stalks. They were the last crowns the nursery had, so I am happy.

Tomatoes and first set of peppers have blossoms forming.

Radishes are doing great. First lettuce coming on slowly.

Last weekend seed planting has leafy stuff sprouting and lima beans poking up.

Need to get those remaining 3 beds assembled

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@LaurenRitz ... At least you can replant potatoes. Well, where I live that is possible. I have them growing now and I'll put a couple varieties out late July for fall harvest. 👍

@Hinotori do you harvest any blackberry for jelly, etc? I do here. But goats have cleared out many of them.

I usually will do some seedless jam.

Himalayan blackberries are super invasive here. There are literal tons just on my property. The cans can get 70 feet or more. Injured myself trying to pull one of the long ones out of a tree. Grip slipped and I hit the ground hard. Only managed about 40 feet of it. Cut the stuck thing off. There may be another 40 feet up there.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geesh...my blackberries are bushier. If left alone, some get to 5-6ft. Are the berries large on those? These are not. But wid type.

Average to small in size. Still worth picking. They get very bushy as well.

We also have cut leaf blackberries which are also invasive but not as bad and don't get anywhere at big a plant.

Under the trees there are native trailing blackberries which are small and sparse, but ripen early and taste very good. Those don't like direct sun.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Supposed to get sparse daily showers fri-sat...most overnight into early morn 👍🤞🥰. Garden perfect stuff....maybe 1/2".

Tonight I walked out to check and beans pretty much no show yesterday are 98% up tonight. ☺️one bean variety was already up, now these. In a day or two the limas should pop.

Plus my rows of sweet corn are coming up really well. About an inch tall from nothing yesterday. A touch of rain tonight will finish the rows out. I'm excited to see it😉 gives you a touch of confidence! Amazing how fast the grow. 😳

Right now, weather next week looks warm, not hot. Works for me. Plants will love it. I'll be home 7 of 8 days 🤞🤞😋 cardboard & mulch time is near now that sprouts show rows!