Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Loving the tater progress
20240523_204354.jpg
20240523_204411.jpg

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do potatoes come back on It's own? Just curious cause something like it is going on my potatoes bed.
Found the last cob of the sweet corn and had pulled the kernels, so just made some holes on the ground and hoping I get more. Also put the lasts seeds I had of the asparagus on the asparagus bed to see what happens. Feel so sorry for that lonely thin tree,lol it has some tiny things hanging. Will take pictures tomorrow. Also put the last seeds or the Russian sunflowers by the end of the peppers and tomatoes. Then a line next to the tomatoes I threw a flower garden mix cause could not find marigolds. To be seen what comes.

However, I spoke to hubby and he came and disassembled one of the small coops in the back. Once I get a new home for the rooster, that coop which does not use, will be turned down too. Then the whole run will be re-done one wall at a time so I don't have to pay again for a permit. So, the garden will be reconfigured. To much weeding is making me think that I should just have designated beds and put cement on the rest,lol. Might be worth a shot!

I also after 3 days, finally a branch is down,lol toome 3 days with a battery operated mini chainsaw saker. I am scared of chainsaws but that would had been perfect for the job and can cut so many oaks I have to male room for fruit trees and maple.
20240523_153410.jpg20240523_153322.jpg20240523_153304.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Dreamz be careful with the sunflowers near veggies. They are a plant that emits something in the ground around them that does not allow the veggies to do well.....so keep them 3-6' away. Just a heads up as you are at planting stages now.

Some trees do that also...strange how plants protect themselves.

As to potatoes...yes, if some were not harvested last year, they will resprout. Thinking you missed some small ones. Yes, they can mature and produce for you.👍. Volunteers ☺️

Got those light showers last night. Will walk to garden in a while, just to smile at it. 🤣 Rewarding.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
😂. Plant them along the outside garden fence. That should be distance enough..👍. Plus you can tie to fence as they get tall & heavy heads.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do potatoes come back on It's own? Just curious cause something like it is going on my potatoes bed.
If you didn't get all of the potatoes picked up the last fall, the ones that got missed can come up the next year. If your potato blossoms went to seed, the seeds can sometimes germinate too.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did get the thistles mowed down to ground level in the south field Thursday. there has been no sign the neighbors are doing anything with the field and those thistles were starting to grow. i want to keep them knocked back as much as possible and especially to keep them from flowering and spreading more seeds. so far this tactic has been working but it does take consistent effort, time and money for the gas for the lawnmower. i'd say the infestation is down 95% or even more which is pretty good considering how many square meters it's taking up (15-20ish). i still haven't gotten all the tall grasses knocked back where more thistles are likely still in there, but i'll gradually get at it as i keep mowing and catching up on what i could not do immediately after being sick, plus i was hoping the neighbors would get their field sprayed so i didn't want to mow any possible contact surfaces away.

today was onion garden weeding and planting.

dirt therapy for quite a few hours. signs are so far that i've survived and am doing ok. :) i actually feel pretty good right now from the exercise and how my brain gets those fizzy chemicals from being outside and the exercise...

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wasn't gonna do any work in the yard today but the sunflower,lol
Moved them with dirt and all in front of the chicken coop and threw some cilantro seeds to see what happens and had some old lemon balm and put them all there. Covered them with chicken wire until they grow and then the chickens can do whatever they want in their house,lol
20240525_113346.jpg
Then hub came and did the second hand of paint in the fence now that the AH neighbors are gone for the weekend. He also painted some metal chairs I picked up by the road a year ago. They look nice. Just need to buy the sitting and good2go.
20240525_114914.jpg20240525_130938.jpg

I have a non-working freezer that I might use as a storage chest or I can take the lid out and can be a perfect raised bed,lol
20240525_133230.jpg
I also found this big cage and I am thinking that I can get me a parrot,lol
20240525_133610.jpg
I put that chicken there so I can put it back on a stake,lol