What did you do in your orchard today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@R2elk found another variety called Veteran the link has it on Lovell.

"Reliable producer in cold, wet weather. One of the cold hardiest varieties. Has stood up to our -25 F with no problem at our site, one of our favorite all around peaches along with Reliance."

Have a read through the following link as a starter for maybe researching the veteran peach variety further.

also have a read through the section called Learn about 4 Secrets to Growing Peaches in Cold Climates here. Seems to be some good tips in there, maybe you could use?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lovell seems to be a good peach rootstock, it's been around for a long time. Lovell also produces peaches but I'm told they are more for canning than eating fresh out of hand.

-40 degrees wow, that's brutal, I couldn't imagine. if you ever do get a decent peach producer year after year it might be something new for local area. Does anyone in your local area have a constant producing peach that you could harvest scionwood from? that might be another option?

No one in this area has any peach trees. There might be some in town but even there, none are constant producers.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@R2elk found another variety called Veteran the link has it on Lovell.

"Reliable producer in cold, wet weather. One of the cold hardiest varieties. Has stood up to our -25 F with no problem at our site, one of our favorite all around peaches along with Reliance."

Have a read through the following link as a starter for maybe researching the veteran peach variety further.

also have a read through the section called Learn about 4 Secrets to Growing Peaches in Cold Climates here. Seems to be some good tips in there, maybe you could use?

Again, -25°F is not the same as -30°F. Even then the real killer is the January thaws causing trees to break dormancy and then being followed by killing freezing temperatures and followed again by the February thaws followed by killer freezing temps again.

A few years ago the -11°F on the 10th of April did major damage.

Even if a person got a fruit tree to survive the winter, the years when spring conditions allow the tree to fruit are extremely rare.

This year even my Evans Bali cherry trees failed to bloom because of how late the ground stayed frozen. The ground didn't thaw until mid April instead of the normal early March. This is the first year that they haven't bloomed. They are a late bloomer making them normal to produce a crop of cherries. Early bloomers like apricots and peach trees rarely have a chance.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If it can't survive on its own I am not going to use extraordinary means to keep it alive especially since keeping it alive does not necessarily equal producing fruit.

that's been my gardening philosophy too. i'll try somethings just to see if they can make it but if they don't then i move on to something else.

-40F can happen here too, but it isn't common any longer.

for those in the farther north who do want citrus fruits and other fruits they can do greenhouses in the ground and use geothermal heat to keep the temperatures within the needed range, but that's too much of an investment for me at the moment and unlikely due to the site and other considerations. minus coming into a huge fortune i don't expect to ever do much different than i already am...

but it is nice to daydream. :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The other problem here has nothing to do with the zones. If the tree/plant can't tolerate alkaline soils, it doesn't matter how cold hardy it is, it won't survive here.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As interesting as it may be, they are located in New Mexico and do not offer shipping.
it was just an example. they seemed to have good info.

wanted to add Siberian C is also used for cold hardy root stock and it's said to produce true from pit. Makes the variety appealing to me.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
it was just an example. they seemed to have good info.

wanted to add Siberian C is also used for cold hardy root stock and it's said to produce true from pit. Makes the variety appealing to me.

The information I found is "was used for cold hardy root stock and reproduces mostly true from the seed". I suspect finding anything more than someone who claims to be willing to sell you seeds for $25 each is about as far as it goes now.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The information I found is "was used for cold hardy root stock and reproduces mostly true from the seed". I suspect finding anything more than someone who claims to be willing to sell you seeds for $25 each is about as far as it goes now.
Yes absolutely $25.00 a seed 🙄 I think I'm pretty much finished researching Z4 peach varieties. I learned a lot researching.