What did you do in your orchard today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's my best growing graft of all that we're done Mid March this year. Cleft grafted onto self harvested M111 air layered rootstock and self harvested golden delicious apple scionwood.

The scionwood broke 3 buds. Those three buds grew into 3 branches. the branches are now 3 and 4 foot tall.
IMG_20230615_164211703.jpg

Graft graft still in parafilm and treecoat. No peeking under the covers allowed.
IMG_20230615_164238230.jpg

Three little scionwood buds sure did grow quick. You can see the original size of the scionwood as it's tip still has black treecoat on it. The scion has really grown in diameter.
IMG_20230615_164307151.jpg

I find grafting simply amazing. But then again being a woodworker, it's just wood and making tight fitting joints. The difference is woodworking you're dealing with dead wood. For grafting the wood is living, but it's still wood in either instance.

I have an idea for a new graft or grafting technique as they call it in grafting but in woodworking it's called a joint or joinery.method. Going to try it out come March next year for the grafting party 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm posting these excellent Martiin-Gatton college resources here. I linked directly to the fruit tree section. But many more crops are listed if you scroll up or down, you'll see them.

If you're in the USA Midwest you will probably find these publications extremely useful since the college is based in Kentucky. If you're not in the Midwest, I would venture to say you may still find the publications useful.
Screenshot_20230627-091650.png

Enjoy

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I cheated and bought a Contender peach tree. Planted it, it bloomed.
View attachment 24504View attachment 24505View attachment 24506View attachment 24507View attachment 24508
It probably won't survive the coming winter but at least I got peaches this year.

can you bring it in for the winter?

and or i've also heard of some trees where they get buried for the winter and then the next spring they lift them back up again - but i think those were fig trees and so may not work for peaches... some peach trees do survive our winter's here so perhaps you'll be lucky? :) or maybe hollow out a big bale of hay and put it over it? dunno... just kicking around ideas... :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What zone are you in?

Reliance Peach is said to be good to zone 4. I have one planted, it seems to grow well. Not sure if it will flower this spring. But I'll know more when I examine the new growth for scions and have a look for flower (double) buds this february.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
can you bring it in for the winter?

and or i've also heard of some trees where they get buried for the winter and then the next spring they lift them back up again - but i think those were fig trees and so may not work for peaches... some peach trees do survive our winter's here so perhaps you'll be lucky? :) or maybe hollow out a big bale of hay and put it over it? dunno... just kicking around ideas... :)
Peaches have "chill hour" requirements based on variety. this is the number of hours at or below 45F or 7C and at or above 32F or 0C. if the variety does not receive the required chill hours it will sparcly or not set fruit at all. contender has a 1050 chill hour requirement. Bringing inside may produce a lush leafy tree in the spring but little to no fruit set. unless the space inside stays between 45F or 7C and 32F or 0C for the minimum required chill hours.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What zone are you in?

Reliance Peach is said to be good to zone 4. I have one planted, it seems to grow well. Not sure if it will flower this spring. But I'll know more when I examine the new growth for scions and have a look for flower (double) buds this february.

If you go by the lies spread by the zone group, it is zone 5. I don't know anywhere in this state that is an actual zone 5. I have an email from Arbor Day where they admit it is not zone 5 but a very cold zone 4. When I buy based on zones, the ones that survive the winter here are the zone 2 and 3 ones. This past winter the temperature hit -40°F. The ground here normally thaws by mid March. This year it didn't start to thaw until mid April.

I had a couple of Reliance peaches make it through 3 winters. The last spring they had a few blooms and produced 2 peaches. I had forgotten how juicy tree ripened peaches were. I had also forgotten how fuzzy peaches used to be. The newer varieties are being produced for minimal fuzz. The following winter killed both trees.

The low temperature isn't the killer. The real killer is the January thaw followed by sub zero temps followed by the February thaw followed by sub zero temperatures.

Latest posts