What did you do in your orchard today?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well what month is it? who ever heard of an apple blossoming the end of September?
I looked up the phenomenon years ago when I had a Nanking cherry rebloom in September. Can't remember what they said was the cause but it does happen under special circumstances. It's never happened again for me.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well what month is it? who ever heard of an apple blossoming the end of September? first for me. It didn't even see winter and it blooms and growing some nice new spur leaves also 🤷‍♂️.

It looks like this will be one root stock that we will be grafting late winter/early spring.
View attachment 24687

it may be ok eventually, perhaps the really hot weather followed by a lot of rains and cooler weather confused it a bit. by spring it may know which end is up and all... :) if it doesn't you may have to send it to someone in South America...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I looked up the phenomenon years ago when I had a Nanking cherry rebloom in September. Can't remember what they said was the cause but it does happen under special circumstances. It's never happened again for me.
I seem to remember it was due to lack of water during the Spring/Summer with a wet late summer/ early Fall

Just saw FBug said the same

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just an FYI... if you're into grafting, now is the time to order rootstocks and scionwood for delivery in March. Rootstocks and Scionwood sells out pretty fast, so best to order sooner rather than later.

I called G. Madewell Nursery a couple of weeks ago to confirm my nursery grafted fruit tree order. He's waiting for the first frost in middle tennessee to ship, so the fruit trees will be dormant 👍 I'll post pictures when I receive my order. So you can see what was shipped

Along with my order from G. Madewell Nursery plus all the potted grafts from March. Means, I'll be working the business end of a shovel for an extended period of time. Maybe I'll have a tree planting party 🥳

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My favorite place. No rootstock, but plenty of selection. Enjoyed their products previously. Can't really do anything until after closing

There's a number of pears I never heard of and would like to try. The question is do I need more varieties of pears? why ofcourse I do 😂

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Daughter in law and I checked out air-layers 7
Well it's looking like we'll be having a grafting party in March. My favorite daughter in law is wanting to start a small orchard like the one I'm working on starting.

Wednesday evening I showed her how to air layer MM111 rootstocks. I did one as a demonstration, then kicked back sitting on a bucket and answered questions, while she did the remaining 9. When she was done she asked if I had more root balls 🤣. I said I'll show her how to harvest scionwood in February. I sent her home with a Fedco catalog so she can pick out some scionwood for varieties she wants to grow. Here's her handy work.
View attachment 23390

I also ordered year end overstock rootstocks from Fedco. 10 OHxF97 semi standard pear and 15 Lovell Peach rootstocks. They arrived last week bareroot, buds breaking and some leafed out. I potted them and am slowly hardening them off. I couldn't resist the hugely discounted prices. Lovell peach rootstock can also be used to graft, appricots, plums and almonds. Lovell is also interesting as it used to be the industry canning peach up until recently. I'll most likely plant 3 to 4 Lovell ungrafted rootstocks for canning peaches and for growing more rootstocks from the peach pits. View attachment 23391

I also want to graft cherries this March, so I'll be ordering Mazzard rootstock also.

Yep it'll be a bench grafting party come March alright 🥳

Quoting myself. My daughter in law and I checked the air layers 8 out of 9 have rooted. The one that didn't root galled back together. But 89% is a really good success rate, for us newbies👍

I won't be ordering apple root stocks this year since we produced our own. I only have a couple of apples I would like to add to the orchard anyways. I also want to graft farmbabe a couple ornamental flowering crab apple trees called Brandywine I never seen a crab apple like it before. I'll be ordering grafting supplies, cherry rootstocks and a few scions, from fedco trees division.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Latest posts