What did you do in your orchard today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been waiting on the last bench grafted pear to break bud, today is the day :). All 10 of my pear graft have took. Primarily whip and tongue, but might be a few cleft grafts also.
5 or 6 varieties of pears, I would need to look at the tags to be sure. Fedco OHXF97 rootstocks and self havested scionwood from the coldest day in February.

Should make a nice row of pears that I'll plant when the go dormant, either fall or very early spring.
Screenshot_20240415_133114_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Planted 2 Cupid cherry trees today. They are said to grow the largest cherries of any of the Romance cherries developed in Saskatchewan. They are rated to zone 2.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Planted 2 Cupid cherry trees today. They are said to grow the largest cherries of any of the Romance cherries developed in Saskatchewan. They are rated to zone 2.
I think you might be able to prograte those via root cutting, since they are on their own roots. You got me reading up on the romance series, very intriguing grows 6 to 8 foot tall and good for zone 2 - 8.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think you might be able to propagate those via root cutting, since they are on their own roots. You got me reading up on the romance series, very intriguing grows 6 to 8 foot tall and good for zone 2 - 8.

I have a 10+ year old Carmine Jewel dwarf cherry (the first of the Romance series). It is a good cherry but doesn't produce near as prolifically as my Evans Bali cherries.

The largest fruit of the Romance series appeals to me which is why I am trying the Cupid cherries.

LaurenRitz

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wandered and looked at all my trees, grinning like a loon.

Five seedling apricots and 4 peaches survived the winter. 4 almond seedlings up so far this spring, and 1 more apricot. No cherries or plums have survived their first winter yet.

I want all my fruit trees to be ungrafted seedlings.