What did you do to be/become more self-reliant today?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I used the internet to learn how to use borax in my HE washer. I was on the verge of purchasing new bedding because it's been holding onto stink. ****I will not go shopping.... I will not go shopping.... I will not go shopping****

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been bartering with friends for produce that I don't have. I let farmers use my parking lot and forklift to unload produce to sell and I have been given 5 bushels of peaches ( not all at once) 1 bushel pears and 1 bushel Jonagold apples. All but the apples have been canned. I traded a friend tomatoes for carrots and canned 16 pints of beautiful carrots for quick soups and stews after work on snowy days. DH goes elk hunting next month so fingers crossed he is successful and we have some good meat in the freezer. My garden is going crazy right now so canning and drying is in full swing to fill the shelves. DH told me that I never go to the grocery store anymore. I took it as a compliment.:)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Bartering is great! I'm hoping to have enough eggs soon to enable me to swap the neighbours for some raw milk from their cows. I'll need a few more hens first. Between the two I have we're only getting 1 egg at day at the moment and it's a small one, but so nice after nearly 4 months' shop bought eggs!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
sumi you must have a couple youngsters? after the now dead possum killed the last of mine this summer (had raised them from 3 day old chicks!! 3 y/o barred rocks & laying every day, RIP ) I had to begin with a new flock. Was able to buy some 12 wk olds at a couple clips and they should lay soon. From the eggs size, I know a few have started but not on daily yet. Got 4 Buff Orps who were 1.5 & they are laying after a molt, so.....I am hoping soon that I can begin to supply customers again as everyone gets into sync. It took them about a month to just settle in with one another! They have a 10X12 coop with 1/3 acre free range but, still didn't "know" ea other.

Do you have suppliers there in Ireland for chicks, like we do here in USA, or do you have to find locals who will sell? I've never been to Ireland but always thought of it as more scattered small towns & older ways. So when you say they are loaded with regs it yanked me into reality.

cornwoman -- wow! I wish they were near me! Heck, I'd do the unloading for that haul! Woohoo!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I impulse bought two POL pullets about 3 weeks ago. There are a good few breeders and poultry merchants around here and the quality of the birds vary, but we have a lot to pick from. And the breed varieties are simply amazing!

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your birds :hugs It's so disheartening when predators do that. I hope the newbies settle and start laying up a storm for you soon!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I finished knitting mittens. I had shopped for 2 years and couldn't find any I liked. So I made a pair!

We're done canning and now running the dehydrator. I don't like the noise of it or using electricity for it, so I want to build screen trays to dry in the sun next year.

My next projects are reupholstering a nice oak rocking chair from an auction 8+ years ago. I'm waiting for the serpentine springs to arrive. Also sewing a mai tei style baby carrier so I can carry Baby on my back while I do stuff. He leans to grab things so carrying him on my back with the slings I have isn't safe. And knitting: baby blanket (xmas gift), scarf, infinity scarf, hat for Baby. and teaching DS8 to knit a scarf for himself because I don't have time!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol, and you think, @tortoise that teaching him will take less time than knitting it yourself? In your dreams! It's still a very good skill for children to learn though. I also read where a teacher encourages her kids to knit in class; she claims that they actually retain more of what they hear when they do so.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day....

Teach a kid to knit... and you only have to teach him once!

:)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Lol, and you think, @tortoise that teaching him will take less time than knitting it yourself? In your dreams! It's still a very good skill for children to learn though. I also read where a teacher encourages her kids to knit in class; she claims that they actually retain more of what they hear when they do so.

I find that easy to believe. I've found if I'm able to keep my hands busy, I can do other things at the same time, and find it easier to concentrate.

Latest posts