What did you do to be/become more self-reliant today?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sort of on the self reliant front, I am working on finances today. We don't have a lot of excess expenditures, but I have a few things I think we can work on trimming down. My husband works for someone doing carpentry/odd jobs, and some concrete work. He works random hours and days, and it's nice because on a random Monday like today he can stay home and work on coops! (although he did just run to work for a few hours)

I told DH he needs to look at this with me when he gets home because he is the one who is bad with money! I have broken it down into approximately how many hours he has to work each month to pay for things so he can think about whether it's worth it or not!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a good idea! I've helped my DH learn to be a bit more frugal with money. At least he's a heck of a lot better than he was when I met him all those years ago.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I look at my work assignments for the week & the weather. Then I decide WHAT must be done & when. I can work in a store during rain, can't plow or fence very well. My work days get moved/combined to allow less gas & trips. Combine shopping with work days...etc. Helps me save $$$ & get things done at home -- well, mostly :lol: But, does make me THINK about planning more. I also plan meals same way...pack or stop back at home between stores.

Some jobs I can't change day/time but, one employer it's pretty ok 99% of time.

Your DH does think about things, it appears, once it's discussed in a good way. I'm alone, only the dog to listen. :caf

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your dog listens?:lol: mine don't!

Yes he's gotten better about it. He grew up with a type A SUPER controlling father so he hates feeling like he's being told what to do. So after 6 1/2 years of marriage I have finally figured out how to suggest without putting him off! And he's learned I'm not trying to control his life!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What did I do to be self-sufficient today? I saved money! Hmmmmm, I took both brkfst and lunch to work today so I didn't spend any money going out. I also made a decision to drive DH's car to work at least a few days a week. I intended to do that a couple weeks ago, but just haven't been able to give up my truck - ARGH! I love my truck!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your dog listens?:lol: mine don't!

Yes he's gotten better about it. He grew up with a type A SUPER controlling father so he hates feeling like he's being told what to do. So after 6 1/2 years of marriage I have finally figured out how to suggest without putting him off! And he's learned I'm not trying to control his life!

I'm going to pass on some of my Mom's wisdom to you. She told me at a very young age, "you plant a tiny seed in their minds. You water it, nurture it, and watch it grow. Then it comes out of their mouth-all their idea- and you exclaim, I'M SO GLAD YOU THOUGHT OF THAT!"

It works. All you need is patience. ;)