What did you do to MAKE money today?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It is! I've been thinking about building something like that, as the other pens I found for sale are (same price), for rabbits and nowhere near as sturdy:
IMG_1153.JPG

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Humph! Wish I could sell some eggs; nobody seems interested in buying duck eggs though. I have 2 customers who will buy a dozen eggs every couple of weeks. The ducks are laying between 5 and 6 every day however, and I can't keep up. DS is allergic to duck eggs so on top of all that, I still have to buy the occasional dozen chicken eggs. Our dogs get an egg a day each, and I try to fix eggs regularly, but I still have about 6 dozen sitting around right now. I have dehydrated some for use this winter, and I guess I'll have to start feeding some back to the ducks now, if I don't want to throw them away. I have started coating the clean eggs with a thin film of oil to preserve them for longer since I don't have room in the refrigerator for all of these. The oil keeps them fresh for over a month at cool room temperature.

Reactions: CJ1

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Bummer, Britesea! Duck eggs usually sell for more! Can you advertise on craigslist or somewhere else? Put a flyer up anywhere?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Today, I didn't spend any. That's pretty much the best tip I can pass along to those trying to make money....stop spending it. Use it, instead, to get out of debt so you can save money on interest.

Determine to live a minimalists life and making money isn't the prime focus after that....it's rather exploring ways to hold onto the money you already make.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beekissed...I agree. Darn it tho, CL calls...and the swap meets...and the sweet tooth.

Proud to say that I went to a chicken swap Saturday and did NOT buy chickens, one of the litter of Gr Pyrs (WHAT a temptation!!),another goat or anything like that. I sure was patting myself on the back!!:cool: My only buy were some fertile eggs for 2 hens who decided to sit. Got 18. Just want to see some chicks & plan to sell them. These are speckled Sussex & kinda look like the Flower hens.

Then, I went home & began working on another chicken coop/pen for some roosters, hens for select fertile eggs... all from re-purposed material from another shed that came down in a storm a few months ago.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've managed to curb 90% of my desire to eat out this week (mostly by working 10+ hour shifts.) So I'm feeling pretty accomplished there.
Trying out sprouting BOSS to see if I can save some dough on feed. Also started feeding more table scraps (got scraps coming from my moms too) to the birds and finally processed my aggressive male duck.
This week we plan on processing the older two hens we have and at least 2-3 of the rabbits we don't plan on keeping.
Aaaand I spent some money to save some time with cleaning the chicken cage each week... spent about $15 on bricks and upcycled some old planks to build a new "perch" for them to sleep on at night since their old roost box had gotten quite water amongst other things worn since we put it in this year.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
@Beekissed You are certainly right!!
LOL @Mini Horses well, you could take that and say that you made some money because you didn't really spend the money on mouths to feed, which would have cost you money every month... that's kinda like making money!

This week I have the first session for getting my indiegogo campaign up and running. It is costing me some money to invest in this to make sure that my campaign gets off the ground successfully and that I make (MORE than) my goal amount. That will be a huge help!! So spending a little to make a lot... that's ok though! I also have another practice call with a "client" to get my feet wet more. Keep on chugging ahead!