What did you do to save $ today?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Morel- that is so doing the correct thing. One of my real problems is procrastination and avoidance in money matters. If I had paid the attention you do, I would be much better off financially than I am. Wonder why that is true for me? But it's like fixing a car, I know I can some of it but I avoid it like the plague.
Oh well- congratuations on a job well done.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am attempting to fix my own furnace. I will let you know how it goes when the part comes in on Thursday. I can't imagine how much I'd have to pay if I had to call a technician, probably $500ish!

It's pretty cold in the house right now, I bet I'm saving on my gas bill to boot.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
bundle up in blankets and sweaters poppycat! BBrr...

I hope those parts work and you are fixed on Thurs. If so yes you saved big money.

best of luck on that project! :) let us know!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I FOUND BUTTER FOR

TA-DA

$1.50 a lb.

:clap

and you know I stocked up big time. In the freezer now...LOL....even on my regular store sale it never goes that low.

Got Our Family brand from IGA store. Delish butter! So I grabbed 12 of them. Yippee.....
WOW, FC! That is Terrific! The lowest price for butter here is $2.50/pound.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
about 3 mos. ago I called my mortgage holder.

I have a great company....thru USAA

I said "what can ya do for me"

they reviewed me and said, we can drop your payment by $50 per month.....or we can cut your term by like 2 years or something and stay at my current payment.

Well, I got 13 years to go....I figured I needed the $50 per month more.....so I took $50 per month off.

All this by them just adjusting my rate down a little....that was with no closing cost, no signing papers, nothing...just a phone call.

See, I am going to build a house soon on my other farm land and I know within 5 years I will be moving at least. Tony won't last much longer here, he wants to move big time so I know I will be selling my house.....so just a phone call saved me $50 per month.

funny thing is I sure needed that $50 per month to me and not the bank..HA HA

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Farmer always do what is best for you:>) Wow Poppycat, fixing your own furnace...that is something I would never attemp...if it can blow up I will call in someone Haha yup I am a chicken!

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hubby bought programmable thermostats and they seem to keep the house warmer at the same temps. One upstairs and one down to keep the heat more even.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Farmer always do what is best for you:>) Wow Poppycat, fixing your own furnace...that is something I would never attemp...if it can blow up I will call in someone Haha yup I am a chicken!
I am very good at fixing mechanical things, and this is a relatively simple fix. I don't mess around with gas supply lines etc. (My dad does though :))

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
poppycat said:
MorelCabin said:
I am very good at fixing mechanical things, and this is a relatively simple fix. I don't mess around with gas supply lines etc. (My dad does though :))
My dh installed a propane stove for me a couple of years back...I left the house and made HIM cook the first dinner:>) haha...I can blow the roof off the house with a BBQ...

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
HM
if I go thru all that butter I STILL know where to find it...your freezer..HA HA HA

that should last me a long time. not big butter users so I know I can drag that find out a while. Believe me, I want to get another 12 but not going overboard..HA HA
There was a limit of 10 on my $1.50 butter, wish I could have gotten more at that price too. Maybe they will do it again with Christmas coming up & I can stock up some more. We eat a lot of popcorn around here as snacks & no butter is not a good thing for popcorn in my house. And Don likes butter on his PB sandwhiches too. I really fill my freezer up this time of the yr as they have all kinds of sales on butter & I rarely have to buy any the rest of the yr then.