What did you do to save $ today?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I took a neighbor, who has no car, to town while I was going anyway. She gave me a dollar :) I told her no charge for gas, but I needed a buck, and she gave me one, so I made a buck :D I saved a boatload of cash by buying only sales, and there were a LOAD of GREAT sales going on today and I had many many coupons. I got over half of my items for half price!! No idea exactly how much I saved, but it was well over $150 no doubt.
I hear you on this one! I am right in the coupons with you. the savings can be amazing!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Wannabefree said:
I took a neighbor, who has no car, to town while I was going anyway. She gave me a dollar :) I told her no charge for gas, but I needed a buck, and she gave me one, so I made a buck :D I saved a boatload of cash by buying only sales, and there were a LOAD of GREAT sales going on today and I had many many coupons. I got over half of my items for half price!! No idea exactly how much I saved, but it was well over $150 no doubt.
I hear you on this one! I am right in the coupons with you. the savings can be amazing!
:D I just found the sale of the CENTURY here. Flour and meal for $1.79 per 5lb. bag :ep I have NEVER seen it THAT low!!! I'm going to get 50 pounds of each tomorrow...maybe more :lol:

I saved money today by walking around behind hubby...he's so wasteful. I bet I turned off a light 4 or 5 times, and showed him the clothes line....again :p Bless his sweet little heart, he doesn't realize the dryer is for additional heat in the winter time :lol: at least he WILL do laundry though, I love my hubby :love

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bimpnottin said:
I got 40 yards of cotton material on Ebay for 8 bucks and free shipping - they are paying me to take that material, it's going to cost them more than that to ship it, even if they parcel post it!!! Also go 40 spools of new sewing machine thread for $20! It's got some weird colors in it, but my kids won't care - they'll think I did it on purpose.

It's been awhile since I've sewn, so I'm excited to start again. Mom bought a new sewing machine and is going to take hers to the shop for a tuneup and is giving me her old one, which is the Singer I grew up using. It has a bobbin problem every now and then, but I think I can live with that.
Oh I am so envious! 40 yards will make a lot of clothes!

My big savings today was I went into Office Depot and bought the Loss Leaders-- glue at a penny a bottle, limit 5 and a package of 5 fine point Sharpy pens for $1-- and DID NOT BUY ANYTHING ELSE! :lol:

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i shopped clearance and combnied it with a coupon to get a $70 dress for $5.31!
woot!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wow pinkfox, great find!

I made farmer cheese for spaghetti bake tonight with free milk. I made bread for garlic bread(about 50 cents worth of ingredients), and am making the sauce from tomatoes and herbs from the garden(about 25 cents worth of produce). The beef is the biggest cost and I got it on sale a few days ago for $4. I have paid about $5 for supper tonight, and leftovers will be frozen for at least 4 or 5 more meals for the three of us. :D

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cleaned out the fridge where I work since summer camp is over and we don't have any groups in again for three weeks. I brought home 3 gallons of milk, 2 bags of donuts, a bag of the most delicious muffins and danish. Cookies, churros and a small bag of bbq pork!! All free!!!

:weee

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! Another score for someone!

I dealt with potatoes from the garden, picked more tomatoes. So far I've made salsa, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce and ketchup. Picked up some Italian sausage freshly ground at the grocery store for $1.59 a pound! Lasagna tonight for supper.

I keep offering to help DH as he's building our stairwell railing, but he keeps getting interupted. It's good that we have friends that come over or call, though!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I am freezing more okra today. I took DD to do her hunter safety course this weekend...kickin and screaming :rolleyes: but she can help put meat on the table this Fall when season opens now, and since she likes jerky soooooo much, maybe she'll be willing.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Had a good week here-

First I got a new goat-my DH called me the other day and ask did I want a pink polk a dot goat---Of course I thought this has got to be a joke.but no he said there is a pix of a polk a dot goat for sale on CL. So I just have to call, I was thinking maybe she had been in a children parade or something, the lady said no that she just had 2 small girls who loved pink and thought that the white goat would look good polk a dotted. I offered 50$ for her and got her. When I went to pick her up the dots had faded(it was an older pix).She is a lovely gal and will make a good milker next spring.

Then DHs boss who also grows hay called and said we could have all the loose hay in the field that the baler missed. So we got a big truck load of hay for FREE.

I sold 11 ducklings for 5$ a piece.

Got 5 layers and one meat chicken for free-this guy has been laid off and cutting back.so he was getting rid of his chicken.

Then went grocery shopping,with coupons in hand and only bought what I had coupons for-saved alot!

Had dinner a few times this week out of the garden.

not a bad week!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, DH brought home 300 lbs of chicken feed the other day. The bags had gotten damaged at the feed store, and one of his friends told him about it. $20.00 for 300 pounds. We put it in containers and the chicken can eat off it it all winter.
Also, we got rain this week. I pulled out all my new big 32 gal trash can, caught as much rainwater as I could, and now will use it for the wash/rinse water on the laundry this week.:celebrate :celebrate :weee :woot