What did you do to save $ today?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Awesome score moxie! That will surely come in handy :D

I used a bunch of coupons today and stocked up on toiletry items. Nothin major, but every penny pinched...

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bimpnottin said:
I got 40 yards of cotton material on Ebay for 8 bucks and free shipping - they are paying me to take that material, it's going to cost them more than that to ship it, even if they parcel post it!!! Also go 40 spools of new sewing machine thread for $20! It's got some weird colors in it, but my kids won't care - they'll think I did it on purpose.

It's been awhile since I've sewn, so I'm excited to start again. Mom bought a new sewing machine and is going to take hers to the shop for a tuneup and is giving me her old one, which is the Singer I grew up using. It has a bobbin problem every now and then, but I think I can live with that.
WooHoo! Fabric came yesterday and I had to play with the sewing machine. I got some really great fabric, some strawberry print cotton, a cute bug print that my SIL is already asking me to make her a scrub top from, a kinda weird red and white pattern that I can't figure out what the print is, some solid colors, a satiny print that will have to wait until I have some kind of skill back, and a green knit and a red lightweight sweatshirt material. There is more in there, too, but definitely enough to get me started. Heck, with 40 some yards, it better do more than get me started. :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I gathered up 5 or 6 used push up deodorant tubes that I had been saving, put them in the microwave for a minute or so till the remainder bits were melted, and then poured everything into one tube. And now I have 9/10ths of Tom's of Maine deodorant that would have been thrown away. So, I think I maybe saved $2? :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I gathered up 5 or 6 used push up deodorant tubes that I had been saving, put them in the microwave for a minute or so till the remainder bits were melted, and then poured everything into one tube. And now I have 9/10ths of Tom's of Maine deodorant that would have been thrown away. So, I think I maybe saved $2? :lol:
That is weird...I'm gonna try it :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
ORChick said:
That is weird...I'm gonna try it :D
I read about doing this with the end bits of lip balm. It works very well. So, deodorant (some of them anyway) are of a similar consistency, so I tried that too. Been doing it for years; gives me a bit more from what I already paid for. Be aware though, some don't melt as easily, and some of the packaging/labels cause the microwave to arc (ask me how I know :rolleyes:). If that is a concern, screw the deo stick all the way up, and scrape the leftover bits out with a pointy knife; melt in a small saucepan.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just scored 100+ canning jars (lots of wide mouth quarts plus regular quarts and pints) off Craigslist for $20. Also, we have been using free toilet paper and paper towel....it dawned on me one day to ask the custodians what they were going to do with the partial rolls of tp paper they were changing out. They told me that the supervisor doesn't like them to leave them in the restroom for an emergency and they were told to throw them away. Um, really....17 years I have missed the opportunity to get free toilet paper (not to mention how annoying this is from a whole global resources perspective). I said, well please feel free to throw them away on my desk...and the papertowel rolls also. They are the big commercial rolls so they are sort of floppy on the holder, but who really cares!!! It's free!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Living the Simple Life said:
I just scored 100+ canning jars (lots of wide mouth quarts plus regular quarts and pints) off Craigslist for $20. Also, we have been using free toilet paper and paper towel....it dawned on me one day to ask the custodians what they were going to do with the partial rolls of tp paper they were changing out. They told me that the supervisor doesn't like them to leave them in the restroom for an emergency and they were told to throw them away. Um, really....17 years I have missed the opportunity to get free toilet paper (not to mention how annoying this is from a whole global resources perspective). I said, well please feel free to throw them away on my desk...and the papertowel rolls also. They are the big commercial rolls so they are sort of floppy on the holder, but who really cares!!! It's free!!!
GREAT score on both! Wow! :thumbsup Helps the environment, too, which is always a big plus.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My cucumber plants have given me a whoopin 4 cucumbers TOTAL this year, so I scored a bushel (2 FULL brown paper bags) of cucumbers, great pickling size, for $20. Lady even threw in dill. Got the garlic free from Dad! Now, I just to get some more jars. Have a call in to someone who listed some on Craigslist, so I'm hoping I score there. Otherwise - gasp - I'm going to go have to go buy more. (If I do, hope that Dollar General still has some, because they were $3/dozen cheaper than anywhere else, even that horrible store - Walm(something).