What did you do to save $ today?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My new neighbor friend brought me a gallon of milk, a half gallon of buttermilk, and two bottles of juice :D Saved me from having to go to the store for a few more days. :woot

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
tinkarooni said:
Super tight budget this month. Trying to build the savings back up again after a summer long of new farm expenses. The pantry and freezers are stocked to the gills. Planning ahead and making everything we eat for everywhere we go. DH and DS took a roadtrip today to pick up some baby pigs and I made them some grilled chicken and than chilled it and made them cold chicken sandwiches with lettuce and tomato from the garden. Zucchini chocolate chips for desert., they packed drinks in the cooler. Saved probably $15.00 and their health from a drive thru.

I've been roasting a small organic turkey breast and than slicing it for their school lunches each week. By Thursday there is usually just dry little bits and pieces left. Tossed the remainder into some home made chicken broth, tossed in all sorts of leftover veggies laying around, carrots and chard from the garden. Yummmy and made with free finds homemade soup.

I'm so proud these days and working hard to plan to not spend. :)
It does feel great, doesn't it?? Think about how much money you'd have to EARN to pay that $15 you saved and the amount gets bigger, depending on your tax bracket. You probably would have to earn closer to $20 to have that $15 to spend, so you really saved $20.

Like my math? :p

fosterchick

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
went to the second hand store. Bought the 5 kids there school clothes. It was 50% off day. The whole bill for 30 items came to $101.30

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Went to Kentucky Saturday to Aldis and saved a bunch on canned goods, not to mention their 0% tax on food. Also saved on cigarettes and probably blew all savings going to an Asian buffet but I was craving bad. Haven't really gone any where in months.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
Went to Kentucky Saturday to Aldis and saved a bunch on canned goods, not to mention their 0% tax on food. Also saved on cigarettes and probably blew all savings going to an Asian buffet but I was craving bad. Haven't really gone any where in months.
Same here. We'll make the drive to our closest city, do a bunch of stuff, then hit the Chinese buffet. Don't get between me and the buffet tables. I don't go anywhere as a rule, never eat out or buy convenience foods, so this is a real treat!

You saved money elsewhere, so consider this a 'free' meal. :D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this counts:

I have a friend living in poverty. Single mom who is pregnant, living in a trailer house that is falling apart. Her water heater wasn't working, leaking badly and problems with the pilot light. She also didn't have steps up to the front door which was a big safety issue with her being pregnant.

I convinced my fiance to help me build steps for her. He knows my building skill (or lack of), so he did. He also looked at the water heater and fixed it! He spent about $40 on parts. It saved us money because we were thinking about buying a new one for her.

I had a good day, fixed a lot of little things to reduce her stress level which is off the chart right now. Every little thing helps get her back on her feet and taking care of herself, home, and son better.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I'm not sure if this counts:

I have a friend living in poverty. Single mom who is pregnant, living in a trailer house that is falling apart. Her water heater wasn't working, leaking badly and problems with the pilot light. She also didn't have steps up to the front door which was a big safety issue with her being pregnant.

I convinced my fiance to help me build steps for her. He knows my building skill (or lack of), so he did. He also looked at the water heater and fixed it! He spent about $40 on parts. It saved us money because we were thinking about buying a new one for her.

I had a good day, fixed a lot of little things to reduce her stress level which is off the chart right now. Every little thing helps get her back on her feet and taking care of herself, home, and son better.
Absolutely counts! God Bless You for helping someone else. :hugs

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The only way we will get through the coming Hard Times is by helping each other whenever possible. The more people you help now, the fewer zombies you will have to deal with later

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
storm waiting in Louisiana - bought cabbage 3 for $l -- 5 pork chops,center cut (on sale) - smothered chops with many onions (sale) added 2 heads shredded cabbage -- smothered all together. DELICIOUS . made 4 meals for DH and myself.

with one quart of fresh cream - made butter, then added cinnamin and stevia... filled into individual butter molds... popped in freezer ...am diabetic and this really works for me on wheat toast....

froze buttermilk for pancakes later .. on wheat pancakes...