What did you do to save $ today?

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
VickiLynn -those are great! You should post a separate thread if you haven't already in the kitchen section so it doesn't get lost here.
Will do.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
today was one of the stores in towns annual cereal sale, they put general mills cereals on sale for 1.79 a box. Then I had been saving my cereal coupons for over a month, with using them it brought down the price to 1.37 a box. The best part was when I checked out, I got 3 other coupons,so of course after work I went back and pick what I needed to use those coupons,got those boxes for 1.45.Saved over 3.00 a box. We now have enough cereal for a year and all for under a total of 35.00

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I used the last little bit of our peaches, ugly ones too, to make baby food. I added a little bit of lemon juice and organic succanat, because these peaches were a little bland. After cutting them up and cooking them a little bit, I used a blender to mush them up into sauce and canned them in 1/2 pint jelly jars. For now we will use fresh fruit to make baby's food, but sometimes it is nice to have something ready made. I ended up with a total of 11 jars. Compare that to a jar or organic store bought baby food at $1.00 per jar and thosee jars are much smaller!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got a gallon of goat milk from our neighbor for free! I gave her a sack of potatoes from our garden. She spotted a stock tank we weren't using, asked to buy it, but I said she could just have it, plus threw in a short roll of really heavy fencing that we didn't need, too.

Know what's better than owning a tractor? A good neighbor that has a tractor. He's coming over this weekend to mow our back field for nothing. Woo hoo!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Having a good neighbor can save you LOTS of money. We keep one neighbor stocked with eggs, they are selling us our wood this year super super cheap. We share a well with these folks too. Great neighbors are worth their weight in gold.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hmmm..a nice surprise. We harvested our sweet potatoes today. Got about 25 pounds maybe. I took 4 nice ones to the next door neighbors. Really sweet people, a couple in their 70's. She turned around and gave me 2 dozen fresh laid eggs from her chickens. It's so nice to have good neighbors. :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Having a good neighbor can save you LOTS of money. We keep one neighbor stocked with eggs, they are selling us our wood this year super super cheap. We share a well with these folks too. Great neighbors are worth their weight in gold.
You are so right.

I came home just now and a neighbor was chatting with SO, he had brought over the paper, which he does every day, so we do't have to buy it and a pair pair of jeans for me, that he got at a bargain store for $1.

I went to Borders. Their books are now at 80% off. I found two books to bring home. "Farewell my Subaru" and "Foxfire 40th Anniversary" book. Both having to do with living off the land. I saved $26. paid $7 for both of them. Hopefully I will also find a bit of wisdom in them that will save me even more money ;) ... or should I say, recoup the money I spent on the books.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Took my foraging pail with me when walking the dogs tonight and came home with a bit more than a gallon of wild grapes. I'll be going back to that spot with a step stool for more, maybe tomorrow.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I felt like eating out tonight. But we didn't budget that sort of thing, so we stayed home and had a good meal here. Cost was about 1 $ per person. Otherwise, it would probably have set me back 20 (for McMeals) or 40 (for better fare). Pretty much forgot about going out by the time I started going through the motions in the kitchen.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I had about 1/2 hour to kill before milking the goat and all othr animal/outside chores were done. I decided to grab sveral small containers and gather seeds. We often let plants go to seed. I gathered cilantro/coriander, beet, swiss chard, garlic, peas. Earlier I packaged and labeled seeds I hd gathered a week ago: parsley, red cabbage and millet.
s I harvest our fruit of the garden, I save the seed from the best. I scoop it out and place it on a paper towel to dry. I immediately label the paper towel, so I know exactly what kind of seed it is. If I get rushed later in the fall, I can just grab the paper towel and put it in a baggy, since it is already labeled.
The labels state whatever I want, so I can identify the seed. For instance, I have a package sitting on my desk. It reads: Red Apple, Pine Hill Road, 2010. I know this is seed from the apple tree above my parents house that we discovered last year.

I love using our own seed or seed I got from friends and family an seeing how it turns out. Usually our own seeds do better for us.