What did you do to save $ today?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I also made dogfood out of some odd little bits of the butchered chickens. A I was cleaning the birds, I just kept tossing little bits that were stuck to my finger or whatever they were into a little bowl. When I was done cleaning them I put the odd bits in a pot and added water. I brought it to a quick boil and called it done. She is happily scarfing it down for her evening meal.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
On Tuesday my 50 meat chicks arrived....for $62 including shipping! We actually got 52, one died so far but all look great. I think I will be raising this batch for free....hopefully! We have lots of stuff for them, starting with the organic cracked wheat that we got free, and graduating to sprouted wheat in another week, then onto the addition of free-ranging and some of the free field corn and pumpkins along with the sprouted wheat. Right now, for protein, they are getting milk/cheese and a little of the homemade catfood (we are now catless in the house since our two old guys both used up the last of their lives this summer/fall :( )

This coming Tuesday my dad and I will process six roosters, later it will be the cockerels produced from our own hens and those six roosters.

We got our replacement rooster today, who will hopefully supply the genetics for next year's chicks....we got two free light Brahamas, a cockerel and a pullet, both about 5 months old and HUGE! So I will be keeping one rooster through the winter. He was too wonderful to pass up.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
moxies_chickennuggets said:
DH had 4 large styrofoam dock floats...removed from Lake Murray here when the lake banned their use. hey were being torn up by animals and turning into pollution. Anyway, today, we have been slicing them into 1" layers to make insulation for the bedroom ceiling. He has been doing the math on it. The board ft needed, and the board ft we will end up with...will do the whole ceiling of our 16'x20' bedroom. For free. To go and buy insulation, retail, would be up to $700.00. Of right now, which we do not have. So, he's a happy camper. We cut and laid one float this morning...and it went in nice and smooth.
Way to go!!!

We butchered 4 of our meat birds. I picked a LOT of tomatoes to be processed in the nex few days. Fed the goats and chickens sunflower stalks with seeds, broom corn, corn stalks and whatever weeds I could dig up. picked a basket of fresh cranberry beans, and a bucket of sunflower seeds.

I did good at the Grocery outlet, even got my vinegar. I spent less than $130 and got $150 of groceries we needed!
I love all these ideas on wahys to save money $$$$$$ :clap

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just did a Safeway order for delivery. Got Progresso soups for $.99 a can (we like having them for convenience foods). And 50 pounds of Russet potatoes at $.25 per pound. Gonna can those for french fries.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Just did a Safeway order for delivery. Got Progresso soups for $.99 a can (we like having them for convenience foods). And 50 pounds of Russet potatoes at $.25 per pound. Gonna can those for french fries.
I've gotten that Safeway for delivery when I lived in town, sometimes they offer the service FREE! You don't do any impulse buying when you select online. I was able to save quite a bit when I got those free delivery offers. I was amazed how many more things I bought simply because I could see them in the store. If I stuck to having them deliver just what I needed, it was a considerably shorter list.

It was also nice because they brought the bags right into the kitchen and refuse to take tips.

If you watch, Safeway occasionally has free delivery offered (they are trying to promote the service).

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wonder how long that will last? With the cost of gas going up I can't see that free home delivery would be viable for very long. On the other hand, paid delivery could end up being very popular.

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Found an ad on Freecycle for free organic plums a few days ago. Came home with maybe 10 or 15 pounds for my pigs and chickens. The guy that we got them from just emailed me and asked me if I could come over as long as the plums are producing fruit and pick up as many as I possibly can :) Yay!

karens18cats

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Made dog food from saved chicken scraps and carcasses. When we eat chicken, I save all of the bones and scraps in a freezer bag and then cook it in the crock pot, sometimes add leftover rice or veggies - they love it! Baked a "war" cake - no eggs, butter or milk needed - am still 3 days away from my weekly grocery trip and my sweet tooth kicked in. My neighbor found a deal on lemons at a discount grocery and I traded eggs from my chickens for the lemons. Last night I juiced the lemons, froze the juice in ice cube trays and then candied the lemon rinds and put the leftover lemon syrup in the frig to use later. Today I will go through the Sunday grocery ads and my coupons and plan this week's shopping trip. This evening, I will read a new best-seller which I got from the library - I check on their website to see when they order their new releases and put a hold on them right away, so I usually get the book within a week or two of it hitting the stores. I always do my grocery shops and library trips on my way to/from work to conserve gas.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack this thread, AnnaRaven could you post your method of canning potatoes for fries in the kitchen thread?

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Helped my mom out with saving money today. She has the land and the animals, but I have access to all the stores. She raises Nigerian Dwarf goats and shows them, so they have to be shaved for the shows and don't have their winter coats come in a soon as unshorn goats. She's been wanting to get goat coats for them, but they are about $30 each. Thankfully, she can sew, but warm fabric is also expensive. There is a linens outlet near me, Anna's Linens that has a sale this week- king size fleece blankets for $9.99. That should make 4 goat coats or more! The twin/double size blankets are only $6.99.