What did you do to save $ today?

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I cooked my $5 pumpkin that I bought at the farmer's market. I had never used that kind before but the guy said it was good for pies and I vaguely remembered having seen an ariticle about pie pumpkins that pictured a dark orange pumpkin. He called it a Cinderella pumpkin.

I got 10 cups + 5 cans of beautiful orange pumpkin puree which will go for pies. Canned pumkin was $2.99 this week at grocery
I got seeds for roasting
I got 2 generous portions of chicken treats which some claim act as a wormer
I saved some seeds after checking seed catalogues and identifying it as a French heirloom Rouge Vif d'Etampes.

Pumpkin prices will go down after Halloween but if can find another like this I won't wait. It was very thick walled, not a lot of seeds but they were large and the taste and color are wonderful. I hate I passed up the peach colored with warts because the Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds identifies it as one of the tastiest squash they've tried. (Galeux d'Eysines)

I have collected old pumpkins from folks fall yard displays for my chickens (get the hay and corn too sometimes). My chickens love them and it cuts the feeds cost.

4morefromless

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Tankshill, the one I had was a deeper orange but otherwise looked identical. It was the meatiest one I have ever cooked. I read were several of the ones with the deep lobed shape were listed as good for cooking. Hope my seeds come up and that it is not a hybrid that looks like the heirloom variety. I may try to sprout one as a test.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
my mom swears by the Red Warty Thing variety....she did one last year and said it was wonderful...a pain to crack open but very tasty and meaty. I got one to try this year. We got a big pumpkin for a little over $4 and I got 12 cups of puree from it and gave all the seeds and innards to the chickens and they loved it! I tried planting some this year but the squash bugs got most of them before I could get to them but I'll definitely plant more next year.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today was a good savings day for us...

My Mom is a pack-rat and has several huge storage totes of old Halloween costumes that the kids rummaged thru to find what they need for this year. We'll have a hippie, a ninja and a chicken soldier(my 8 yr old is a little odd!!)

I mentioned that I was starting to redo my bathroom and my SIL marched me into their garage and gave me 3 gallons of premium Sherwin Williams paint that will match my new shower curtain. She used to work there and they are mis-tints she got free.

I already have painting supplies so I'm gonna get started tomorrow!!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Can we see photos of the chicken soldier? That one takes imagination!!!! Photos of all three please!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got 2 buckets of freebies from the local farm stand - discards for animal food. A bunch of peppers that only need minor nicks trimmed away, some seemingly perfectly good carrots and a couple of cucumbers. I haven't had a chance to check the bottom of the buckets yet, but I figure there is still a lot of "people appropriate" food in there, as well as lots for the chickens, and anything else will go to the worm bin. :weee They also had mushroom "seconds" at 99c/lb, so I grabbed all the decent looking ones to either dry or saute and freeze.

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Went to the local ReStore, bought a shop light hanging fixture - brand new - for $5.00. Brand new still in the box. My chickens should love it, it's for the coop :)

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's my little chicken soldier!! He's ready to defend innocent hens from the stew pot!!!
2890_100_8858.jpg