What did you do to save $ today?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH found 2 card tables and a redwood/aluminum lounge chair out by the dumpster at his work. He brought them home...fixed the lounge chair today. The 2 card tables will have their tops replaced on another weekend, with recycled pine boards also brought home from the scrap pile at his job.

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our home use Remington Clippers died a few weeks ago. I went to craigslist and found another pair for 40$... however those were not available right away and it occured to me that the hair clippers were not that old and the box said "5 year limited warranty" I called the company and the representative asked for a few numbers etched on the product itself and in 5 minutes I had a new set of clippers mailed to my home. I just cut my DH's hair and saved 12 dollars plus tip at the hair cutting place. :D

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Went to super 1 - picked up 4 bags of peaches $1 dollar a bag...making preserves tomorrow picked up 4 bags of banannas for $1 a bag...have made triple batch of sugar-free strawberry jello LOADED with banannas....made 5 trays of bananna chips in dehydrator....husband saving best to eat...what is or goes bad will go to the chickens....not the peels just the nanna part.....making peach preserves tomorrow..to buy is $3.28 at Walmart..(sugar-free)....Yea!!!!!!!!!!

MrBubblingbrooks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I reclaimed a huge amount of fiberglass insulation that I intend to use in the chicken coop to make them cozier this winter. I also picked up a new burn barrel ($15 value) with which we'll burn our paper trash. Between eating mostly naturally raised foods, burning the burnables, and composting, we rarely bring anything to the dump. I was able to save several hundred dollars in total, by spending $10 extra in gas to bring the truck on my errands instead of my car. My DW said good bye to our duck raising venture today, too. It was bittersweet; she sold 4 for $100, the 5th went to freezer camp, and we save a gallon of barley a day, plus cost of heating and lighting their pen for the winter. The $100 will cover gas money for the month; every little bit helps!

MrBubblingbrooks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We sold some chickens. 18 of 42, leaving us with 24. We will save a gallon to a gallon and a half of feed a day, plus we made enough from the sale to pay for about 6 months of feed for the remaining chickens. We will sell some more tomorrow, but just 3 or 4. This also allowed us to turn off a light, which saves more money. We are feeding our chickens suet and meat scraps from a butcher day, so we are spending less on protein meal. Also, we ate a gourmet liver, onion and bacon dinner. The liver was free, and we used ends and pieces bacon, which is the cheapest way to buy it. Meal for 2 and a half cost about $2.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A guy we know came by four times to drop off Osage Orange wood to cut up for firewood. After cutting and stacking, we ended up with about 3/4 cord and a pile over 3' tall of small stuff for the little woodburner. :woot

He said that he'd probably be back one more time with some bigger stuff. We offered to help clear, cut or pay him, he declined. His wife is in the beginning stages of ALZ, so he was looking for a reason to get out of the house for a while. :/

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My fiance and I went to an auction and I GOT MY BOW! :celebrate I've been wanting one for target practice and future hunting, but couldn't justify a $500 price tag. I got a brand new, never used compound bow (with the $499.99 price tag still on it) for $165. Got arrows 50% off. We also bought another 40# compound bow for $60 before the really nice one came up. Debating whether to sell or save for my son when he is older.

My fiance bought some things he can sell for profit on ebay. Trigger locks, turkey chokes, etc.