What did you do to save $ today?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
FC- I think you're so right- we've been given a break in gas prices but,unless there is a realllllly long depression, prices will go up agian. I have not taken to driving to town a couple of times a week as I used to do so that my savings on gas, while not as startling, keep on going.
I do hope that the drive to make more effectient transportation that was triggered by the dramatic rise in gas prices does not disappear now that it has dropped.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
We tried something new today. We baked potatoes in the wood burner. It will take some fine tuning. The skins are extra crispy.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
PamsPride- with big trucks not selling so well, I bet he could find a decent older truck for use around your home at a really good price. Truthfully, I would really miss my 3/4 ton diesel PU - it's sitting in the garage with 2 1/2 cubic yards of bark in it- as soon as it stops snowing for a bit, I will haul it to the horse pens to keep their prescious little feet dry. :th
A PU with a large bed is sooooo convenient for choes but then I don't have to drive to work. And it's not really fancy and about 15 years old. But I have pulled stumps and fence posts with it among it's typical horse trailer hauling.
We need our PU too to haul hay & bags of feed(I can only put so many 50lb bags in the back of my van) so even though diesel is higher than unleaded we need the truck & at 18 mpg it is not so bad for dh to drive it back & forth to work(60 miles a day).

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We tried something new today. We baked potatoes in the wood burner. It will take some fine tuning. The skins are extra crispy.

***Dacs that is so cool.
I LOVE extra crispy tater skins...they make the whole potatoe delish! I eat it all, do you? So many leave the skins...??...don't know what they are missing! :)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I ate both of them, mine and the wife's. I even ate the charcoal crispy skins.

I think a properly cooked skin is the best part of a baked potato.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:drool
you said it!

edited to say...that drooly guy disturbs me....

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I saved $$ today!! YAY!!
I went out Christmas shopping this evening. I knew that I wanted to get a jacket that my 13 yo could use for hunting....I seen a couple I liked at Walmart last Friday when I was there. Today we went and they were on clearance! The jacket I liked was orginally $67....The one I picked out was marked for $21!!!!! When it rang up it rang up for $49! The cashier had to call for a manager to override the price...she did...the cashier rang me out....while the manager walked back to the coats and found out that they were $49 and then came back and told me it was marked down to $49 and she could give it to me for $49. Ummmm...what?? "You already charged me $21 and the cashier rang me out! I want it for the $21!" I was very nice but firm. I think she realized I was not giving in....afterall I did not put that price on there! So, she walked away put the jacket in a bag and then came back and put it in my buggy!
The cashier made a comment while the manager was gone..."And you wonder why we have so many irrate customers. She HAS to give it to you for that price."