What did you do to save $ today?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
You are welcome. I hope you like them as much as we do! :D

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Gotta put that pancake recipe in the recipe thread. :)

I didn't do this but my wife did. It is getting to be a repeat I think.
Cooked stew on the woodburning stove. The stew had onions from our garden in it.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yesterday we traded my DH's car way down. He drove an expensive, fancy car that was costing us big time in payments and gas. No more. He is NOT happy :(

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
poppycat said:
Yesterday we traded my DH's car way down. He drove an expensive, fancy car that was costing us big time in payments and gas. No more. He is NOT happy :(
DH lost his company truck when he lost his job. It was s nice big Chevy, extended cab, cap on the back, 4WD...lots of extras. Thankfully he found another job...with a huge paycut...that is an hour and a half drive EACH way!!! He wanted to buy a truc like he had for his old job!:rolleyes: We went a few rounds about it but he finally saw that light and went with a smaller car. Otherwise he would have been working JUST to pay for the gas to go to work and we would not have had anything to live on. He did NOT like giving up the big truck at all!!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
PamsPride- with big trucks not selling so well, I bet he could find a decent older truck for use around your home at a really good price. Truthfully, I would really miss my 3/4 ton diesel PU - it's sitting in the garage with 2 1/2 cubic yards of bark in it- as soon as it stops snowing for a bit, I will haul it to the horse pens to keep their prescious little feet dry. :th
A PU with a large bed is sooooo convenient for choes but then I don't have to drive to work. And it's not really fancy and about 15 years old. But I have pulled stumps and fence posts with it among it's typical horse trailer hauling.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
PamsPride- with big trucks not selling so well, I bet he could find a decent older truck for use around your home at a really good price. Truthfully, I would really miss my 3/4 ton diesel PU - it's sitting in the garage with 2 1/2 cubic yards of bark in it- as soon as it stops snowing for a bit, I will haul it to the horse pens to keep their prescious little feet dry. :th
A PU with a large bed is sooooo convenient for choes but then I don't have to drive to work. And it's not really fancy and about 15 years old. But I have pulled stumps and fence posts with it among it's typical horse trailer hauling.
We have a nice large trailer for hauling wood and other stuff so buying a truck just is not practical no matter how 'I' look at it! Our best bang for our buck would be just putting a hitch on our van. It has plenty of power for pulling anything that we would want to haul. Plus my dad has a nice big truck with a hitch and he will haul stuff anytime we ask him too! If we did more than just haul wood a couple of times a year I might take a truck into consideration but, we had DH company truck for 10 years I think and we never used it to haul anything other than the trailer with a load of wood or the lawn mower on it. So, to me it just is not practical. DH just wanted a 'truck' because it is 'manly'!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey poppycat
no man is ever happy having to trade down in vehicles...that is their thing..LOL
but he did the best and smartest thing in this financial bad time! So give him a pat on the back and say, "there, there, when the time is right a new and better vehicle will be coming your way"---that should make him smile. Knowing, maybe, it will be a time in the future to have the fancy vehicle back. But you guys were smart. When ya have to, you have to. car payments are :ep

I know! :(
LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
truck is a must in my life
but I wish it wasn't
they are expensive to maintain, gas, etc. but you need pulling power for farming and I own a big travel trailer.

but when you can get by without a pickup then go for it. We have tag along trailers that my SUV can pull...does the job fine.

key being....get away with as little as you need to spend to make your life work fine for you. Financial times are going to get rougher, gas prices will increase. As much as we may want, ut uh, everyone hold firm and save money now!!!!!