What did you do to save $ today?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Well.... I didn't save anything... YET...
Just figured out that I can get access to google docs file storage through my droid phone. This means that we can set up a simple excel spreadsheet that we can both have access to via our phones to track where we spend our money. I'm such an organizational dork that I am actually excited about this! We are not very good with our money, and so now that we really know what the heck we want to do with our lives (only took us 10 years to figure this out... :rolleyes: ) we can find ways to improve our control of our money. I think we waste wayyyy too much money, scratch that, I KNOW we waste too much money, and if we don't know where the money is going we can't figure out how it is being wasted.
I'm excited that this will be fairly easy. Now I just have to figure out how to set up a spreadsheet that we can keep up with... :hu

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have decided that for Feb. will only spend $$ on essentials. No extra curricular shopping.
:celebrate

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Made a weeks worth of pico de gallo and a double recipe of PB/banana dog biscuits! Both much less expensive than purchasing them. Of course I doubt I would actually buy either, knowing what they would cost! :lol:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Just scored a pole tree trimmer new-in-the-package for only $29.00 on Craigslist! Wahoo!
:celebrate

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I used coupons and got:

2-10 packs of Bic pens
2-12 packs of Sprite
10 pkgs Bryan hot dogs

for a grand total of........$5.30

I also planted a boatload of fruit :p It'll save me money in the long run!

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
went to cvs to get the zarbees cough syrup for 2.15 got 6.00 ecb back

found clairol perfect 10 haircolor reg around 12.00 well with coupons and clearance got 2 boxes of my color for 2.68

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
6 packs of oscar meyer bologna for 4.00 total with coupons and sales...these are normally 3.85 a piece at bi-lo....cant beat .67 a piece

8 rolls of jimmy dean sausage for 8.00 total.....normally 4.99 a roll

3 packs of smithfield thick cut bacon..........3.00 total normally 6.00 a pack

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow E you are doing well.

I have my coupons in hand, and waiting. none of them have hit a sale price yet :p
kills me to no end. but I know everything I clipped and waiting on will hit sales soon, then the savings begins.

but the other day I hit "closeout' price on paper towels. Individual big rolls for .39 each. wiped the shelf of 23 rolls
angel soft small 4 pack, 'closeout', they were $1.09, I had .45 coupon that doubled. Only had 6 coupons so that is all I got. but heck, .19 per pack I am smiling.
(they are perfect size for putting under camper cabinet when we travel--so TP done for camping season--oh yea)

I tell ya my stores are having tons of 'closeouts'
the sections are getting smaller and smaller. But for the life of me I don't see 'the new' things that are filling up the space.
I mean, our dish detergent was about 10 ft long. Now it is about 5 ft. Dawn, Palmolive, store brand, ajax and a few others is NOW all they offer. Used to offer Dove and some others I never bought :) but those are gonzo on the shelf now.

I used to skip aisles. Now I am walking every aisle and searching for closeout prices.

hmm....never know what you might hit

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
wow E you are doing well.

I have my coupons in hand, and waiting. none of them have hit a sale price yet :p
kills me to no end. but I know everything I clipped and waiting on will hit sales soon, then the savings begins.

but the other day I hit "closeout' price on paper towels. Individual big rolls for .39 each. wiped the shelf of 23 rolls
angel soft small 4 pack, 'closeout', they were $1.09, I had .45 coupon that doubled. Only had 6 coupons so that is all I got. but heck, .19 per pack I am smiling.
(they are perfect size for putting under camper cabinet when we travel--so TP done for camping season--oh yea)

I tell ya my stores are having tons of 'closeouts'
the sections are getting smaller and smaller. But for the life of me I don't see 'the new' things that are filling up the space.
I mean, our dish detergent was about 10 ft long. Now it is about 5 ft. Dawn, Palmolive, store brand, ajax and a few others is NOW all they offer. Used to offer Dove and some others I never bought :) but those are gonzo on the shelf now.

I used to skip aisles. Now I am walking every aisle and searching for closeout prices.

hmm....never know what you might hit
im going to go old school on ya.........i keep all my coupons in a TRAPPER KEEPER

if i leave the house then my trapper goes with

that is awesome on the paper towels........bi-lo hasnt had a good sale for about 4 months........but oh boy when they did i loaded up. they had bounty paper towels 10/10 and i ordered 40 coupons and got all 40 rolls free except for tax of course. and the sale was going on for like the whole month so i just kept ordering more coupons.

i know what you mean about things are less and less. no up and coming new names or anything. but for the dawn can we get a different bottle size for each ounce or what. theres like 23 different sizes at each store. :/

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh and the BESTEST thing i got recently was paint....

im am about to close on the house so im trying to get this house in order to rent right

well i had to go buy some dog ears to repair the fence here so of course i looked at the mistints.......

now let me tell you im painting my sons room a lil different than most people....it will have a chair rail.under the chair rail will be a base of green with cream argyles and the upper part will be the cream of the argyles. or rhombus or something

i got the idea from my other sons sweater which happens to be a green argyle.

what do i find at lowes the same green paint i need for 5.00 it is olympic brand reg price 24.95

and i might buy some cheap white and lighten a lil and paint both sons' rooms but each a different style.

now just to find the lavender paint for carrissa's room...going to be gorgeous...light lavender walls with white flower ?silhouttes? and the stem on each flower will be black but like a quick brush stroke really undefined but the ?silhouettes? will be on point and very defined. the white flowers will be about 3- 5 ft tall. im hand painting them because i want each one to have its own character. you should see here room now......super cute.......its like a teal with pink petals flowers with a bright yellow in the center....the flowers now are about 2ft in diameter and at face level...