What did you do to save $ today?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CHEEEEEESE! We have a garden/produce store near my house that has started selling "bulk" cheese, that they get huge quantities of. I think it is short dated. Today I bought 20 oz of muenster for $3.00, 30 oz of cheddar for $3.00, and 30 oz of monterey jack for $3.00. They also have feta, blue cheese, brie, gorganzola, swiss, havarti, and others. Some of it comes packaged in 8 to 10 lbs, and that is impractical for me unless I get organized enough to split it with family members, but they have a lot in 2 to 10 oz packs, too. I love cheese! :D

keenecowboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We sometimes freeze our bulk cheese. I does help keep it a little longer. Your other choice would be to vacuum seal it and freeze it .
:)

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keenecowboy said:
We sometimes freeze our bulk cheese. I does help keep it a little longer. Your other choice would be to vacuum seal it and freeze it .
:)
Does frozen cheese have a different texture? Can you still eat it "raw" or just use in cooking? I have frozen shredded cheese before, and it seems fine when thawed, but I was wondering about the creamy cheeses.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
i personally only use it for cooking if it has been frozen.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
We bought a new kitchen table set with 4 chairs (the set I had dreamed of having, its taller and has a leaf in the middle that makes it square instead of a longer rectangle) for $50.00. So we had to sell our table (we kept the chairs for another project, they didn't match the table anyway) and I just got the check from the folks that want to buy it off of Craigslist for $75.00!! We just MADE $25.00 on the deal! They sent the check ahead so that I would hold the table for them, I'm just grateful because I didn't have anyone else that was interested in it anyway.
:weee
We also got several other checks in the mail today, some expected, some not so expected. Boy, I wish all days were like this!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've used it B4 w/no problem. We used to get large bags of shredded cheese and freeze it, then thaw it out when we emptied one. Never had a problem w/it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't like the change in texture with frozen cheese unless I use it for cooking. Have you looked at the thread for canning cheese? I want to try that :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HQ
several checks in the mail....I want your kind of day

good deal!!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
FC, I know, right! Normally the mail is all from people that want my money! :gig
The other half said if I got that much money in the mail every day, I payment have to work! Haha!