What did you do to save $ today?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
so lucky said:
briansimon50 said:
Even see if you can help work someones garden for some of the harvest.
So, Brian, you've made 10 posts and they all say the same thing, relevent to the threads or not. What else can you say?
:/
I figured he was a spammer, so I just ignored him. :/

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hubs and I did 11 pints of apple pie filling...ate some right away on top of vanilla ice cream. I can't help myself sometimes. :D

I made a big ol' batch of cat food using raw wild turkey, vitamins, taurine, etc. My ancient cat has some major allergies and this is the only thing that she can eat. Anyway, I froze portions in an oiled muffin tin, then popped them into a zipper bag.

I started a simple system for fermenting grain for my chickens (thanks, Bee!). I'm just using two Folger's coffee cannisters and a piece of thin cloth w/ a big rubber band. Filled one can half full of scratch, added a glug of homemade ACV and enough water to cover the grains. Next day I strained the water into the other can that's half full of grains (Bee said that's called 'backslopping') and added a bit of water to it. Simple stuff, good for chickens and will save on feed costs. The chickens still free range, but I always offer scratch. Eventually I'll go with a bigger system when winter hits and they eat more from the feeders in the coop.

And we got about half a cord of free firewood. :D

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Packed lunch, as usual.

I'm sprouting these days to avoid the grocery store greens for salad, although we still have loads of spinach left that we're eating, along with cabbage and kale, for salads.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The local Kroger ran an ad to transfer your RX and get $25 loaded onto your store card for free groceries. I got one for DD and one for myself. That's $50 for today. Called a friend and told her about the deal as well. I also have an appointment for a free oil change for my car tomorrow. I use the same place for all of the work on the cars and trucks so when I took in DD's car for brakes and an oil change I casually asked if they would give me one for free and they said yes. It pays to ask.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yesterday I made goat milk soap (free goat milk from the neighbor - yay).

The batch of shampoo bars I made finally cured enough so I could try one. I'm telling you, I was happier than a hoarder with an empty shoe box! I couldn't believe how much thick lather it made! I think I'm in love... :D I used the recipe from Crunchy Chicken's blog. I'm going to make a soap holder using a recycled nylon bag from some oranges and just hang the soap on a hook in the shower.

I'm still fermenting grains for feathered critters using Beekissed's great info from her blog at Natural Chicken Keeping. All the feathered critters are eating it now, but it hasn't been long enough to see if they're eating less. They still are able to free range, too.

And I have a 15 lb. (?) block of frozen deer meat sitting in my sink. :/ My SIL gave me two of them, plus some bags of wild turkey breast. This is all from last years hunting season, so it's destined to be dog/cat chow.

I used to spend $100 a month for feed - dogs, cats, chickens. I think I spend less than that now even though I have more animals (goats, guineas, ducks plus more chickens).

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I made a wreath for my front door.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Slaughtered 3 araucanas (all rumpless roos :(). Got them in the fridge for the prescribed 3 days to relax.
Bartered a half crate of satsumas for 2 packs of deer sausage with the neighbors. So I have meat for about 5 meals and less animals to feed.