What did you do to save $ today?

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
LOL, I stayed home and off the online shopping sites! Oh, I take it back...had to see the doc and got a flu shot...but I consider that an investment. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I moved Honey out of my field and back in w/RU's horses. I'll have to pay her more per month, but in the long run, I'll save money since I don't have to buy as much hay and there'll be more grazing for my guys.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went walking around in my neighborhood and picked up pecans. There is a bumper crop this year and where branches overhang the street, I pick them up out of the gutter and street. There are also a couple of vacant lots that have pecan trees and I pick them up there. I do this several times a week. I now have 7 quart zip lock bags of shelled pecans in the freezer. :weee

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I have Licorice's blanket in my washing machine. When it's done, I'll be washing Misty's. They'll both be going out on the line. Then on Monday, I have to fix both of them and spray some waterproofer on them. Last time I had horse blankets wash and repaired, it cost me $50 per blanket! :th But, since it was cheaper than buying new, I did it. You need a front load washer to wash them, and the laundry mat doesn't like it if you wash them there. (I have done it, it cost me $3.00 per blanket!)

When we needed a new washer, I told hubby I wanted a front load. I'm pretty sure its paid for itself already!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yesteryday, I got 2 large bags of clothes at a 2nd-hand store. Big savings. Plus, I signed up for a free membership and got everything 1/2 price!

My mom brought me ww-bread from their local bread outlet for about $1/loaf, quality bread.

I took her out for lunch, but saved 1/2 of my huge sandwich for supper :)

wooddustmaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Been a while since I have been on here. Been busy with moving, canning, and working. We went and picked 90 pounds of apples for a whopping total of $6.00. Got 30 quarts, plus or minus of super sweet apple juice. Already have the applesauce put up. May try to go get some more, if the cold hasent got them. Almost have a new hen house built at the new place that has been free to build at this point. We have been able to use what we have on hand at this point. Roffing will be the expense, but have to build fence first, for the goats. Got a freee buck to breed the two does, so should have goat milk in a few months. Always check the thrift stores for good quality clothing, and things like oil lamps, and candles.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went on a road trip this weekend right through prime pecan country. We stopped on the way to our destination in a park and picked up fallen pecans, and we stopped again on the way back. We ended up with over 12 lbs of free pecans!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I paid off the mortgage early :celebrate Finally the house is free and clear and I feel great. No more house payment and no more interest. Now if DH thinks that we just got a raise and he can go out and spend spend spend I am hiding his truck keys.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
I paid off the mortgage early :celebrate Finally the house is free and clear and I feel great. No more house payment and no more interest. Now if DH thinks that we just got a raise and he can go out and spend spend spend I am hiding his truck keys.
I just don't tell mine stuff like this. As far as he knows everything is still so tight we can barely breathe but we are getting oh so close to things getting better. Eventually I have to give him some good news but I am putting that off till I have more saved away for emergencies lol. Sorry but I learned from my dad and brothers that some men are not good at money. Mine admits that he isn't so I am super careful.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Mine is horrible w/money, but won't admit it.

Latest posts