What did you do to save $ today?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I traded a bag of carrots and beets from storage for a SCOBY from a friend. Ours went moldy when we were away for a week.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had to spend money but one of the local stores is running an ad for mix and match 5 items use the in ad coupon and get an additional $5 off, so I got 5-10# bags of sugar for my storage and with the coupon paid $19.95 plus tax. After I was reading posts re: the price of sugar I figured that was a big savings.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I used several coupons today. I HAD to have a few things, and saved money on them :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That is a good price. Best rice I can find is $8.95 for 5 pounds around here, and it is rare to catch that good of a sale. I buy around 50 pounds when I have the cash and can get it at that price.

I saved money today by making dog food, instead of buying it. The new pup needs to be started off on better stuff anyway.

me&thegals

Reaction score
wannabefree--do you have a link to your dog food recipe? We have a 5-month-old pup and have been giving her low-quality cheap food :(

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have just been cooking up healthy meats and rice for her....I think that's why i posted rice instead of bacon up there...which made NO SENSE :lol:

I cooked 2 pound packages of chicken livers, with 2 cups of dry rice. I added in a teaspoon of garlic, and a cup of milk after it cooled down. That gives her the high protein she needs for growth, calcium for bones, the rice for energy, and the garlic adds flavor and worm preventative since she is too little for any kind of wormer. I probably won't give her any other wormer until she's at least 4 months, unless she starts showing signs of infection. I do cook her food right now, but will be giving raw later on when her little tummy can handle it better. She was weaned a bit early, so I want her to have tummy friendly stuff for now so she can gain weight. She's so tiny!! Barely 2 pounds at the moment. But, that won't last long, she has a VERY healthy appetite! I made a weeks worth today for under $3. That includes giving the two big jealous beasties a one cup serving per day as well :p

I saved money today buying a bunch of meats on sale! I got whole bone in pork loin for $1.58/lb and had them slice it for free :D I got two of those, and that will last us a couple months. I figured I could make 16 meals out of what I got, for $27. :ep That's pretty good for pork. I got Bryan bologna $1.19 a package for name brand, which is the ONLY brand DD and I can have, but it's all anyone likes anyway. Not bad though, considering it's generally $1.59 or better per package. I picked up some ground beef on sale as well @1.88/lb. Basically I got all the meats we can stand for the month plus some for around $100. I'm satisfied with that, and so will be my carnivore collection :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I just used $60 worth of coupons at Walmart on $170 worth of items we use :D I had coupons for all but 6 items, out of 58!

me&thegals

Reaction score
Thanks!

Made a bunch of "worker share" gifts for my CSA helpers, saving a load of $ and hopefully making them happy.