What did you do to save $ today?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm out of bread. I think I will mix some dough and se how it works in a solar oven. Or maybe I can do that tomorrow and today just make corn bread. Yeah.....
But I will not buy my bread from the store for sure.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have the cornbread in right now. I am leaving it in longer than I would a gas oven, because of the low temp, but it is on slow cooker temp right now. Maybe hotter because its been a while and the sun is shining right on it. It might be ideal.
The turkey necks were good and I plan on finishing them up today, but like I said, next time I will need a few more hours.....better preparation.
I consider it worth the investment.
I also like my Wonder Bag very much.
Really, anything you can do to keep your house cooler in the summer is a blessing.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I used to wrap 2X4 wire under the brooder, after I threw the chicks loose with the flock, so they can get in, but the adults couldn't and I'd put a feeder in with crumbles so they'd have access to what they needed, without being harassed by the big ones.

Thank you! That's a fabulous idea!! DH doesn't like taking the starter crumble away during the day. I think I can rig up something like yours.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay....just out of curiosity, I was wondering how all my recent changes with clothes drying and outdoor cooking and Wonder Bag cooking were saving me, so I began looking for my utility bills.
I found my gas bill from July 2013 and my usage was 8. Whatever that means. And my current bill which is for July is with a usage of 2. Again, I have no idea if that is gallons or what.
I have temporarily misplaced my most recent electricity bill, but that is the one I am most interested in.
Now, if I have truly used only a quarter of the amount of gas that I used 3 years ago, the only explanation I have for my bills being so close would have to be a rate increase because 2013's bill was for 14.54 and this month's is for 12.68. I must pay a higher amount for my gas now.
I am going to start filing my stack of bills, because I want to see what I consumed in electricity.
Sorry, I don't have any tips for y'all at the moment. But I think most of you would agree that this is sorta a related topic, right?

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not really something I did perse. I have been leaving messages at our DRs. office for a billing problem. We needed to find out how much we owe because we hadn't gotten a bill . Finally after over a week and three messages left; I got a call back from billing. We have a credit of $100.00!!! They are sending us a check!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay on the refund! Christmas in summer!

I went to the local Farmers' Market yesterday in spite of the heat and smoke (we have a fire going to the west of us). One of the vendors had a bunch of strawberries that were not doing well with the heat; he offered us a box of over 20 pounds of berries for $10. They are somewhat overripe, but I got them all hulled and into the freezer. There were enough firm berries that I think I can make some jam; the rest of them will get turned into sorbet or syrup or shortcakes.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I stopped at the local hardware store for dishwasher detergent - rather than compiling a list for Walmart long enough to "justify" the 30 mile round trip, and you know it would be $100 before I got out of Walmart! I figure I saved $92. :)

I spent $500 on my "household category" in Jan/Feb credit card billing cycle! I was horrified! This category is paper goods, toiletries, clothing, and random stuff at Walmart. I'm avoiding that store now! I'm surprised how much I am able to get in our little town. My goal is to spend money at local shops. I don't mind stopping at several stores and it's fun for me and the kids to say hi to more people.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is a wonderful thing to live in a little town. We are located in the middle of 3 small towns, about 8 miles to each of them. Getting to know the local business people is nice. The money you spend in your town is more likely to be spent in your town, thus benefitting more local people.