What did you do to save $ today?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went to a church rummage sale and for $1 got the noodle attachment for my Bosch mixer. Brand new in the box marked with the store price of $159.99 :ep with 10 different extruding discs. I get the thing home and find out Bosch made 2 sizes but only 1 part on the thing is too big. I take it into a machine shop and in a few minutes they fix it for me. Perfect fit and my cost was $2.15 so for $3.15 I have the perfect setup. No more store pasta for me. :celebrate With just a couple of batches my investment will pay for itself.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wow! Wish I could find a deal like that for my Kitchenaide. I won't buy the pasta attachment, it's just too expensive.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Exactly Deb. I can't believe how much they want for the things. I got online just to check and the same thing is $189.00. You'd think the attachments were made out of gold.

Plantress

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Shopped at aldis today and paid about a third of what that stuff costs at weis

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Our bathroom soap dispenser is cracked and oozes. It's a cheap $1 one, and our third to break the same way. The more expensive pumps don't dispense well. I was wandering around on pinterest and saw a DIY soap dispenser made with a mason jar. I have mason jars, I have a pump from the cracked dispenser... so I tried it. It worked! "New" soap dispenser - $0, 10 minutes. :)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My drier has not been turned on in over a week and then it wasn't even by me when it was. Its too hot. I read that each time you use a gas dryer, it costs you .50 between the gas and the electricity, but it costs over another dollar for your AC to get your house back to its proper temp, so every week, I think I save over 10.50 by not using the dryer. I do plan on using the dryer, starting around November and ending the beginning of March though...at night time, before our baths....not that I need it though.
Also it only costs me about $15 a year to make my own laundry detergent, so I think it saves me about $180 a year.
SIL has been helping me get my home in order to cancel out a favor I did for her a while back, and she smokes so I sometimes make her cigarettes, so no need to go to the store.....saves a good amount.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I am using the dryer less. I am down to 15 minutes per load of laundry. I wash a load of laundry every day, so I hope this makes a difference on our electric bill.

Our adult hens have been mooching chick starter crumble, so I'm taking the crumble feeder out during the day when the momma hens are around. DH modified the crumble feeder so the chicks wouldn't waste so much. I'm feeding a lot of leftovers / food scraps and a portion of dog food to the chickens daily too. I don't know how much feed we were going through before, so I can't estimate our savings.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am using the dryer less. I am down to 15 minutes per load of laundry. I wash a load of laundry every day, so I hope this makes a difference on our electric bill.

Our adult hens have been mooching chick starter crumble, so I'm taking the crumble feeder out during the day when the momma hens are around. DH modified the crumble feeder so the chicks wouldn't waste so much. I'm feeding a lot of leftovers / food scraps and a portion of dog food to the chickens daily too. I don't know how much feed we were going through before, so I can't estimate our savings.
I used to wrap 2X4 wire under the brooder, after I threw the chicks loose with the flock, so they can get in, but the adults couldn't and I'd put a feeder in with crumbles so they'd have access to what they needed, without being harassed by the big ones.
Its not just the power I am saving with not using the dryer. Its the house is so much more comfortable. It gets way too hot here if I don't try to do something. Besides, I hang in my room and I like the smell of the clothes.