What did you do to save $ today?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
It's very early for me but this morning for the first time, I went to let the dog out and actually shut off each light as I left each room, even though I would be come back through in a few minutes. I only turned on enough light to get me from one door to the next- so no turning on each light in every room I passed through.
I will try to keep this thread in mind throughout today to remind me to check other habits for effeciency.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just decided to make pasties today. So my money saving is going to be buying the meat and grinding it myself. I am also going to attempt pie crust yet again instead of buying it. I will make at least 25 pasties to make it worth while.
This weekend is going to be freezer weekend. We are going to eat all the odds and ends that we have a tendancy to shove in the freezer cuz it is such a waste to throw it away.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I made my own sausage cheese mini quiches to freeze instead of buying them already prepared. Saved money and they are waaaay better tasting.

I'm getting started on holiday baking for gift giving. You know, things that freeze well and need only 1-2 steps before it's ready to give.

Next is mini apple raisin bundt cakes.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I agree--the best ay to save money is to sty home. and hen you do go out, bring a list and stick to it.

I usally shop from my freezer too. I have three freezers full. One chicken,(homegron) another frozen fruit and veggies and bread (localy picked), and the third one deer. I buy 50# bags of potatoes, 20# bags of rice, and stockpile on pasta hen it is on sale. I bake all my on stuff but I occasionally buy bread, bagels, english muffins, make my on yogurt etc, so really hen I go tot the store, it is for flour and baking stuff, milk and eggs. (my hens haven't started laying yet--but it should be soon=better be soon!!!!!) Also for fresh fruit and veggies.

KarbonCinq

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Chips are $3.99 a bag? :ep
Yep the big bags are. I gave up on Lay's & all the big companies.

We pay about $2.99 for a smaller bag of kettle cooked chips; I forget the company's name but they have a flavor called Thai Spice that is really good! :drool

But that's not why posted. I saved money by fixing a belt loop on my son's shorts:

1005_img_0104.jpg

He's in college, so if I save him money, I save me money. ;)

I don't mind sewing, but makes me want to sit down when I pee.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
How much electricity can you produce w/it, and how much wood do you use?