What did you do to save $ today?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm going to have to check that out. If I could run on either wood or horse poop, I'd be thrilled!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thank you for that! I will definitely check it out. We have a 40yo Ford truck, steel body which weighs 1.5 tonnes, automatic transmission... She's a heavy drinker.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i like this thread, it makes me stop and think. just what did i do to save $ today. i went down the road to the saw mill and got a big bag of cedar shavings for a couple of bucks and brought them home to put in the hen nests in the chicken house. stopped at the creek on the way home and picked up some egg shaped rocks because the snakes have eaten all my ceramic eggs. got the nests cleaned out and restuffed with the cedar shavings, put a handful of diatomaceous earth in each nest for a little pest control. spray painted the rocks tan and filled the fake Easter eggs that i got for 24 cents a dozen with small rocks and super glued them shut to put in the nests. now, note to self, if the super glue tube is a little sluggish and you squeeze it with a pair of channel locks to open it up you can expect to get your other hand full of glue and you only have a few seconds to decide what position you want your hand to freeze dry in. thank God for acetone!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My drier has not been turned on in over a week and then it wasn't even by me when it was. Its too hot. I read that each time you use a gas dryer, it costs you .50 between the gas and the electricity, but it costs over another dollar for your AC to get your house back to its proper temp, so every week, I think I save over 10.50 by not using the dryer. I do plan on using the dryer, starting around November and ending the beginning of March though...at night time, before our baths....not that I need it though.
Also it only costs me about $15 a year to make my own laundry detergent, so I think it saves me about $180 a year.
SIL has been helping me get my home in order to cancel out a favor I did for her a while back, and she smokes so I sometimes make her cigarettes, so no need to go to the store.....saves a good amount.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not really something I did perse. I have been leaving messages at our DRs. office for a billing problem. We needed to find out how much we owe because we hadn't gotten a bill . Finally after over a week and three messages left; I got a call back from billing. We have a credit of $100.00!!! They are sending us a check!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay on the refund! Christmas in summer!

I went to the local Farmers' Market yesterday in spite of the heat and smoke (we have a fire going to the west of us). One of the vendors had a bunch of strawberries that were not doing well with the heat; he offered us a box of over 20 pounds of berries for $10. They are somewhat overripe, but I got them all hulled and into the freezer. There were enough firm berries that I think I can make some jam; the rest of them will get turned into sorbet or syrup or shortcakes.