What did you do to save $ today?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Okiemommy said:
I made my own ranch and italian salad dressing today. Mayonnaise tomorrow--it will be the first time I make it--hopefully it will turn out all right.
I would be interested in these recipes if you have them.... :D

Let us know how the mayonnaise turns out. :D
I will post them in the recipes section. for the mayo, I used Freemotion's recipe, but i used my hand blender. I added all the ingredients at once, pulsated the blender a few quick bursts, increasing in length as it started mixing, and then kept the beat on until it looked done. Guess what? I tastes like mayo!!! Next time I will add a few ingredients to zip it up a bit.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went grocery shopping today and used the circular and my coupons to make my shopping list. Note: I do not shop for immediate use, I use my pantry and freezer to make my meals and my weekly grocery shopping is to keep the larder stocked with the items I use when they are on sale.

There were 3 coupons in the weekly circular to double pet coupons worth up to $3. I bought 2 bags of cat food that cost $5.99 each and had $3 coupons for each. Can you say FREE! I also saved $4 off a 21 pound bucket of cat litter with the other double.

With all my coupons and the sales I got $74.22 for only $27.33 . The only item that I purchased that I did not have a coupon for was some light yoghert that DH loves, but it was still on sale.

After I left the supermarket, I went to a local minimart that has day old bread and bought bread and rolls that were 2/ $1

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
That's great, VT-Chicklit!

I did a lot of planting today, mostly onions and leeks. While it cost me $ up front, it's going to earn me a lot of money in CSAs and farmer's markets and save me grocery $ for our family all fall, winter and hopefully even spring!

Pretty soon here we will be eating our asparagus and spinach. When that starts, I can pretty much go without shopping with a few fresh things like that plus all the canned and frozen. Woooo-hooo! Lower grocery bills!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A little saving :). I made my own curry powder, and a couple of other mixes that I use, this evening.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
ORChick--have you posted those recipes in the "Homemade Mixes" section yet? Never have seen a recipe for curry powder...

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I went grocery shopping today and used the circular and my coupons to make my shopping list. Note: I do not shop for immediate use, I use my pantry and freezer to make my meals and my weekly grocery shopping is to keep the larder stocked with the items I use when they are on sale.

There were 3 coupons in the weekly circular to double pet coupons worth up to $3. I bought 2 bags of cat food that cost $5.99 each and had $3 coupons for each. Can you say FREE! I also saved $4 off a 21 pound bucket of cat litter with the other double.

With all my coupons and the sales I got $74.22 for only $27.33 . The only item that I purchased that I did not have a coupon for was some light yoghert that DH loves, but it was still on sale.

After I left the supermarket, I went to a local minimart that has day old bread and bought bread and rolls that were 2/ $1
I aspire to be able to do things like this someday :weee :weee

ETA: going to go check out the recipe section now :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Had an unexpectantly big work week, so the saving money projects are on hold. It seems like I only spent money, but only on needed food items and a few items to further our ss goals, like some ingredients for lotion and cheese cultures and supplies.

Eek, I can't go a week without posting something here.....I'll be back....

At least money is coming in. You can't barter for your mortgage!

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
We hope to pay off our mortgage in 10 years. :D

We just bought the house last year! :weee

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yay! I think we have something like 8 years left, ourselves, re-fi'd last time the rates hit a record low and cut our mortgage time in half at the same time! So although I did not do that this week, thanks for the reminder of a big way we save money over the long haul! :cool:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
ORChick--have you posted those recipes in the "Homemade Mixes" section yet? Never have seen a recipe for curry powder...
Actually, this was a new recipe for me, and I'm not sure yet if I like it, but maybe it just needs time to *blend* - We'll see the next time I make curry! If so, I'll post it; if not, I'll search out another.