What did you do to save $ today?

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Yay! I think we have something like 8 years left, ourselves, re-fi'd last time the rates hit a record low and cut our mortgage time in half at the same time! So although I did not do that this week, thanks for the reminder of a big way we save money over the long haul! :cool
that is so awesome!! :clap :clap And you're welcome :weee :weee

Today my way of saving money was following through with my meal plan :lol:

It was day two of it, and we had sloppy Joes. I am looking in my fridge with a new found sense of peace. I know what food is in there, and where it's going, and when it's going there.

Oh I guess I did do something to save money today! I pre-cooked the ground turkey meat that I will use in the tater-tot casserole on Monday night. Since Monday's are the craziest for us, sometimes it is really tempting to grab a $6 pizza at Little Caesars. This ensures that won't happen, because I won't have to worry about the day getting away from me and forgetting to brown the meat.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion :
Yay! I think we have something like 8 years left, ourselves, re-fi'd last time the rates hit a record low and cut our mortgage time in half at the same time! So although I did not do that this week, thanks for the reminder of a big way we save money over the long haul!
We did the same thing and now have 8 years left on ours. We went from a 30 year at 8% down to a 15 year at 5 3/4%. Been looking into another refi. If the rates drop any lower, we will try. We have great FICO scores but I hear that it is still dsifficult to get a refi approved.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought 4 apple trees today for a hundred dollars, and I found out that my brother paid twice that for his; however, his are Stark trees which I think is the top of the line.

Tomorrow I am going to save money by having DW dig the holes instead of hiring it done! :ya Am I on a roll with this thing or what?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
freemotion :
Yay! I think we have something like 8 years left, ourselves, re-fi'd last time the rates hit a record low and cut our mortgage time in half at the same time! So although I did not do that this week, thanks for the reminder of a big way we save money over the long haul!
We did the same thing and now have 8 years left on ours. We went from a 30 year at 8% down to a 15 year at 5 3/4%. Been looking into another refi. If the rates drop any lower, we will try. We have great FICO scores but I hear that it is still dsifficult to get a refi approved.
We called since the interest rates are so low. they want us to pay a $8000 penalty to get out of our existing mortgage to refinance. Hubby will callla raound to differnt banks nex tweek when he is off.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
We called since the interest rates are so low. they want us to pay a $8000 penalty to get out of our existing mortgage to refinance. Hubby will callla raound to differnt banks nex tweek when he is off.
:ep That is just not right!!!

Today I saved money by buying only one goat, although I had money for two, and I went shopping hungry.....no, STARVING!

Does this count? :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Today I am staying home to garden and catch up on some ss projects. I was supposed to drive my friend (disabled, can't drive) to a wholesale gem and bead show, and she got a migraine. I am being VERY GOOD and not going by myself. Congratulations to me. Not spending money on sparkly things I don't need..... sniff.... :rolleyes:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Many readers here know about my weekly rants on property taxes.
Well . . . it turns out that many in our town have called, written, emailed to complain and we that complained will be reassessed lower by $10,000.
This only translates to about $100-$200 off per year but it's a start.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Today I am staying home to garden and catch up on some ss projects. I was supposed to drive my friend (disabled, can't drive) to a wholesale gem and bead show, and she got a migraine. I am being VERY GOOD and not going by myself. Congratulations to me. Not spending money on sparkly things I don't need..... sniff.... :rolleyes:
Darn the luck! Free, if you would have taken your friend to the gem show I would have put you back in the will! :th

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Today I am staying home to garden and catch up on some ss projects. I was supposed to drive my friend (disabled, can't drive) to a wholesale gem and bead show, and she got a migraine. I am being VERY GOOD and not going by myself. Congratulations to me. Not spending money on sparkly things I don't need..... sniff.... roll
:hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs I feel your pain :hit The sparkly things get me too....must stay away from the sparkly things.... :hide

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I saved money by getting a load of manure on the way back from another errand! I will save some more when I get another load on the way back from church!!! :D

I also saved money today on a refrigerator.

My old one is a tiny, efficiency apartment fridge that is not frost free, which means the freezer is frosted shut all the time because the seals are nonexistent. Its so old that big and little pieces break off each time I try to clean it. The inside of the door is hanging on by a small strip of plastic and has the insulation showing through in multiple places. This is the fridge that came with this rental place, so, no this is NOT my own little treasure! :p We can absolutely fit nothing in this thing and I have suffered with it for three years!

No more! I bought a used Kenmore today, not too large but with frost free freezer , deep pocket doors, glass shelving over the crisper drawers, good seals. Paid $200 and tax. 90 day guarantee.

I have waited soooooo long! NOT what I want to spend my hard earned money upon, but I can put the old one in the garage to hold eggs that I sell at roadside this summer and to keep drinks and lettuces fresh for selling.

Cheaper than buying new..... :)