What did you do to save $ today?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It is just safe-er because you know exactly what happened to that egg after it was laid and before it goes in your food. So if you are careful the egg will be safe to eat . . . if you throw it in some chicken poop and let it sit outside in the heat for a week, then maybe not so much. LOL

Also, in the factory farms, where commercial eggs come from, sanitation is not as good as on the carefully kept home farm. Diseases spread more easily there.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The eggs I use raw are ones that do not need to be washed at all. There is a layer called the "bloom" on the outside of the egg which has antibacterial properties, and the shell is porous and "breathes" so if you don't wash it, bacteria won't get in, likely.

Otherwise, chicks would be doomed. They would all die of bacterial infections before they had a chance to hatch, often as long as a month from the egg getting laid. If there are only a few hens, they will lay eggs for up to a week in the same nest until they get the right number for setting, then someone will set on them for 20-21 days.

I only wipe the rest of the eggs with a dampened and wrung out cloth. If there is a really poopy one, I run it under water that is WARMER than the egg. Cooler water will be drawn into the egg, and could bring bacteria with it.

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I saved money by staying home...if I'm out driving around, that means I'm spending money SOMEWHERE........:rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The eggs I use raw are ones that do not need to be washed at all. There is a layer called the "bloom" on the outside of the egg which has antibacterial properties, and the shell is porous and "breathes" so if you don't wash it, bacteria won't get in, likely.

Otherwise, chicks would be doomed. They would all die of bacterial infections before they had a chance to hatch, often as long as a month from the egg getting laid. If there are only a few hens, they will lay eggs for up to a week in the same nest until they get the right number for setting, then someone will set on them for 20-21 days.

I only wipe the rest of the eggs with a dampened and wrung out cloth. If there is a really poopy one, I run it under water that is WARMER than the egg. Cooler water will be drawn into the egg, and could bring bacteria with it.
Thanks! I knew about the bloom and how important it is for chicks. But didn't put the 2 and 2 together for the benefit of a healthy eaten raw egg. I learn something every minute I am on this site!!

FOR MEAT EATERS ONLY:On a side note: SAARS grocery store has their truckload meat market (I know it doesn't sound that great--they need a new title) sale going on today where you can buy bulk for real cheap. They have buthchers there to cut and portion these slabs (and even ham. meat) of meat for free. I never knew about this promotion, but apparently they only do it once every other month. Today is the last day!! I am going to check out my freezer real estate and go back for their chicken breasts. (Lots of the prices I saw were like $1.99 and cheaper per lb.)

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I will be planting pole beans this year for the first time so I need something for the beans to grow up. I noticed the electric company cutting saplings out from under the electric lines in the next town over, the other day. Today I took my old yard truck out to do some "gathering". I went to the area where they had been cutting the saplings and collected a bunch of straight saplings that I am going to fashion into "pole bean" teepees. I also gathered some sand from a public beach on the island that I will mix with composted cow maneur for use when planting my sweet potatoes. I spotted lilly of the valley growing wild along side our rural road, and stopped to dig a shovel full to transplant in my mothers yard.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Great ideas! I was looking for comfrey at a local greenhouse and couldn't find any. I overheard a couple looking for borage, which I was looking at. I called them over and handed them the borage. Mind you, the place was mobbed. I asked if they'd spotted any comfrey. The hubby said they had lots of it, and he gave me his card, and I am to call him and arrange to pick some up!!! For free! (ooo, that's kind of a pun ;) )

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
I will be planting pole beans this year for the first time so I need something for the beans to grow up. I noticed the electric company cutting saplings out from under the electric lines in the next town over, the other day. Today I took my old yard truck out to do some "gathering". I went to the area where they had been cutting the saplings and collected a bunch of straight saplings that I am going to fashion into "pole bean" teepees. I also gathered some sand from a public beach on the island that I will mix with composted cow maneur for use when planting my sweet potatoes. I spotted lilly of the valley growing wild along side our rural road, and stopped to dig a shovel full to transplant in my mothers yard.
:lol: I used the recent antenna that was taken down by our handyman for some of my beans. I'm sure there will be lots of them leftover after the digital take over!!

Latest posts