What did you do to save $ today?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
We are eating the radishes and their tops tonite for dinner. Tops are going to be sauted with garlic and butter and radishes plainly put into a salad.

Sauteed Radish tops? Never heard of that. I will try it! Thanks.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse wrote:
We are eating the radishes and their tops tonite for dinner. Tops are going to be sauted with garlic and butter and radishes plainly put into a salad.
When your radishes get larger you need to try them roasted or grilled with olive oil and onion powder. I also add other root veggies such as parsnips, carrots, chunked sweet potato etc. It makes a yummy side dish.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I finally used up my all-purpose cleaner ("eco-friendly" junk, probably still made with petroleum products) and cleaned out the container. Then used two cups citrus vinegar and two cups water to make my own cleaner! I had shoved as many lemon and orange peels into a jar, then covered with vinegar, and let sit in the fridge for a long time. It was supposed to be a month, but I didn't finish my other cleaner so it's been... three months. I hope it's okay. Smells nice, though. And is bright yellow, with no dye at all. I cleaned the peels with baking soda before I put them in the jar.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I'm selling a bunch of stuff on ebay instead of buying a bunch of stuff off ebay. :p

Tomorrow may be a different story. :rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I made chive blossom vinegar using my own chive blossoms. It turned into a nice pink vinegar. I have not tasted it yet, it still needs more time.

I made sauerkraut, well it is still in the making. I made a small batch so I can eat it all up before it goes bad...then I won't have to can it. I used red cabbage and garlic and I will add caraway seeds later.

I made a brooder for my new chicks out of the previous owner's dog whelping box. It was left behind in the basement.

Next is souerdough bread! I was given a "200 year old" starter for my wedding and I lost it over the years. I am soo mad at myself for that. I am going to this artisan bakery downtown to see if they sell me a starter, they might have one with history...or else I will simply make my own.

I am going to dig a small pond and line it for some ducks that hope to get soon.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
BBH, your sauerkraut will keep indefinitely in the fridge. Keep those probiotics alive! Especially if you lactofermented it.

I made another cheddar, and planted squash and pumpkins and peas (late, I know, oh, well!) and made labels for my soap and arranged them in a basket for my office. Taking them for a test drive!

Made my first miso soup with my just-arrived live culture miso.....dandelion leek.....yum!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It was just the recipe on one of the jars of miso, except I cross-bred it with chicken soup....I used homemade broth from the freezer, carrots, spinach (would've preferred snow peas or even sugar snaps, but alas, got behind in my planting so it'll be a while), some cut up cooked chicken (also from the freezer, my idea of instant soup!) and then added the miso after cooling it a little, just so as not to kill the miso. It was DEEEE-LISH!

The recipe on the jar called for water and no meat, just carrots and greens and miso.

I think I will try an eggdrop soup with it, too. This is my first miso. A great way to have that Chinese food taste but healthy, and......I saved money!

eta: the miso was dandelion leek, that may be what you were hoping for with the recipe request.....sorry! But you HAVE to get this miso when they ship again in the fall! It made me dance in my kitchen when I tasted it!!!