What did you do to save $ today?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We have been busy planting our crops all week. SO has been doing most of the planting. So I have been doing all the other stuff.
I have been picking the dried fava beans off the stalks, using the cabbages that we had to harvest early, as well as the lettuce. We still have several bags of lettuce in the fridge. So we have a salad every day and I give a lot of it away.
I've been using the food we have on hand to make our meals, hanging laundry out on the line, using lemons, salt and vinegar to do the cleaning and staying away from the Goodwill Outlet store :rolleyes:
We need to make the chicken yard bigger and are trying to figure out a way to do so without spending too much money. I think we need to buy some tall fencing though. These chicks are flying onto the top of their little enclosure and I am sure that the 4 foot fencing that SO has in mind is not going to do us any good. We need to keep the little ones seperate for a while longer, since they are going to be on chick starter for a few more weeks. Once all the chickens can be in a group, I'm afraid our current hen yard will be too small. So we plan on enclosing the asparagus beds and to let the chickens roam in there for most of the summer.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You could use the shorter fencing if you got some kind of bird netting for a cover. Of course, if you have predator issues, I say bigger fence AND cover.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I just made my starter for sourdough bread. I was brave and chose NOT to add the yeast...I'm doing it old school! I used to make french bread from scratch and wheat bread a lot.

I learned how to make bread from an ex husband's mother. We would bake together every weekend. Anyway, I will be kneading by hand, when the time comes, and I will be making "free form" loaves directly on a baking stone.

The last sourdough loaf I purchased was around $4.00. So far, I think I spent $3.79 for 5 lbs of whole wheat flour and the water is my very own well water. I'm way ahead of the game! I think 5 lbs will make lots of loaves of bread! I don't remember how much yeast is, but I didn't have to buy any thanks to a recipe provided by keljonma. Thank you keljonma!! :D

When the starter is ready I will have to feed it etc. and then I will have starter to share with my pals and neighbors!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oh, hey, thanks for mentioning this, because I was waiting until it got warm to start one too (also old school method). I've never done it before, and have been waiting since the end of last summer.

I knead by hand too and prefer making small round loaves. That way the bread doesn't get eaten as fast as it would if it were baked in a loaf pan. (You have to watch me around warm home-made bread). :lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
A cover over shorter fencing won't work, since the new enclosure encorporates not only the asparagus beds (which can handle the abuse of chickens at this time of year :lol: ) but also my laundry line. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Went with SO to get his deer tag today. Now we're trying to figure out how to fill the darn thing out. I sure would like some venison this year. It would really justify the purchase of a deep freeze.
So far today I saved money by feeding the dog and chickens leftovers mixed with flax and eggs.
I'll be helping my daughter save today by providing her and her new BF with a dinner to celebrate their 6 month anniversary. I have a oriental meal planned, or at least parts of it. I'll be going on line to look for some recipes.
So far I have: snow peas with prawns and water chestnuts, steamed rice, a salad (still using up our lettuce we harvested when we got the field plowed.) I'm thinking of making fried rice, chow main noodles (using ramen soup), and maybe a soup. I think I have miso soup in the cupboard. I might have to go and buy some bean sprouts, but I'd rather not go running off to a store for anything. So I'll have to get creative!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've had some success with keeping chickens inside my four foot fence by clipping the flight feathers down to about 1/3 on one wing only. Puts them off balance so they can't fly accurately. Doesn't work with guineas, though, little buggers! :rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I've had some success with keeping chickens inside my four foot fence by clipping the flight feathers down to about 1/3 on one wing only. Puts them off balance so they can't fly accurately. Doesn't work with guineas, though, little buggers! :rolleyes:
That is exactly what I do. One side only too.

detali

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I wanted to buy a cucumber when I went grocery shopping today.

What my IGA features in their produce department beside their regular stuff is a small tray with an assortment of fruits and vegetables which are a bit past their peak but still good. And guess what, there was one cuke in a pack there besides an assortment of other veggies for pennies more than what one cucumber alone would have cost me. I bought the pack and we had cucumber salad for lunch. Then I diced the other vegetables and put them in my dehydrator for future use. If you ask me, that was a good use of my money.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Score detali!! :thumbsup

If it counts..I ate a jalapeno that I would have composted in years past. It wasn't that crunchy, but it was the flavor that I really needed.

Oh, and if I haven't already :welcome

Latest posts