What did you do to save $ today?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Good idea Javamamma!! I have a wrinkly lookin' pepper in the fridge right now!

I saved money by sewing up my running shorts...AGAIN! (These poor shorts have been waving the white flag for quite some time now!!)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
BBH, you can save even more on your running shorts by always making sure your undies match your shorts! :D

I am canning peanuts today, will be making sauce from garden tomatoes and herbs, and the last peach pie from the seconds I bought this week. It is a rainy and cool day, perfect for being barefoot and in the kitchen all day!

I ordered 20# of very lean grass-fed ground beef for $2.29 per lb and 10# of very lean stew beef (grass-fed) for $3.29 per lb to be picked up on Monday for Tuesday canning. I'll be near the store where I get the discount veggies on Sunday, so will pick those up and cut them up on Monday. I drive right by the shop where I get the meat on Monday. So good planning will mean no extra driving, and my empty canning jars will start filling up and my peace of mind will be back! And dh will stop asking me why I need so many jars....he will get that look in his eye that accompanies the drool on his chin! :p

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
BBH, you can save even more on your running shorts by always making sure your undies match your shorts! :D
Sounds like you've been there too! :lol: Why are running shorts so expensive? And it is really hard to find them at goodwill!

I never had canned peanuts before, how do you do that?

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow what a great topic!!! I contacted my bank and made a change to an account that will save me $7.00 per month in maintanence fees, which equates to $84 per year. :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
The Vail Benton's said:
Wow what a great topic!!! I contacted my bank and made a change to an account that will save me $7.00 per month in maintanence fees, which equates to $84 per year. :D
That could buy quite a few canning jar lids ;)

:welcome

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I busted my electric company out for an additional $174 that I am NOT going to pay. When I asked to be taken off the "equal pay" plan, I meant it. Not my problem if you didn't take me off when I asked the first time (or the second for that matter!) and now have to credit my account. I love my Public Service Commission. :love

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I am hoping to save buy cooking my potatoes in my impromptu solar oven I threw together this morning.
It is still super hot here today and I don't want to add to the heat in the kitchen by cooking on the stove and then turning on the fan to get that heat back out of the kitchen.

I set aside some left over spaghetti sauce to use as dogfood. Some we might use for tonight's dinner, or maybe tomorrow night.

I had planned on canning up the tomatoes I picked earlier this week, but I think I'll dehydrate them in my car instead.

I am also making a jar of yogurt for stepson. He had been taking antibiotics and it gave him the runs with a lot of pain. He didn't realize it was the antibiotics. Fortunately he likes yogurt. The jar is just sitting on the counter since it is already over 80 in the house. I'll transfer the yogurt to a plastic jogurt container later, so he can take it with him to his girlfriend's house. No canning jars leave my house!!! :gig
I'll give him some homemade blackberry sauce to go with it too. That should also help his stomach.

He was amazed as to how well the yogurt helped him. Ahh, stepmom isn't that stupid after all!:rolleyes: :lol: