What did you do to save $ today?

Reaction score
I hired a bunch of illegals to do my roof. Saved my deductible and upgraded to 130 mph vs 40 that was on there. Of course I'm paying a legal contractor.

Later this week I have a real nice guy that retired from GM bringing his Bobcat over for some digging and punching holes in the dirt. Eight hours for 300.00 including the 85 mile trip to my house.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We are switching our phone service provider. For local phone, LD, internet and one cellphone, we will be saving roughly $20/mo.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* cut up the meat chix we 'harvested' a couple days ago, portioned them and put them in the freezer
* requested a couple things from the library instead of paying to rent or buying them
* finished up the tomato sauce and picked more 'maters for tomorrow's batch
* making stock with the leavin's from the chickens...the house smells like heaven
* making fresh goat cheese
* canceled the paper that we dont even read
* fought with the bank to get a fee waived
* did NOT drive into town to get that girl scout thin mint blizzard i've been dying for at the DQ

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i purchased 27 canning jars (26 ball and 1 kerr with 8 brand new lids and 11 rings) for 5.50
off of freecycle i got a gallon of paint for FREE its an awesome sea foam green and will be perfect for the house i will build in less than a year

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i got 100' of chicken wire off of freecycle for FREE and only had to drive 8 minutes to get it

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Ohiofarmgirl--You just had to remind me of that blizzard! That's what they're advertising in our town, too :drool

Elijah--Doncha love that freecycle? I got bags of jars off it a couple years back.

This weekend, we're saving money by gratefully accepting tomatoes from friends and family and putting up stewed tomatoes and salsa. We also swapped our sweetcorn for a friends wonderful biscotti, and another friend brought us 6 quarts of her amazing homemade grape juice for sweetcorn. We're happy to give it away but have lovely friends who insist on giving us treats for it :)

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i do love freecycle and cragislist free section however most of the stuff they give away aroud here is crap but when its good its good
i like to buy cheap stuff off of cg though

me&thegals said:
Ohiofarmgirl--You just had to remind me of that blizzard! That's what they're advertising in our town, too :drool

Elijah--Doncha love that freecycle? I got bags of jars off it a couple years back.

This weekend, we're saving money by gratefully accepting tomatoes from friends and family and putting up stewed tomatoes and salsa. We also swapped our sweetcorn for a friends wonderful biscotti, and another friend brought us 6 quarts of her amazing homemade grape juice for sweetcorn. We're happy to give it away but have lovely friends who insist on giving us treats for it :)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Found a hammer on my walk! :D
now you're my kind of gal! my hubby is STILL laughing at me about the time we saw a shovel by the side of the road and i wanted him to stop and go and get it! later that day we went by again and it was GONE and i told him that some LUCKY PERSON got it and it wasnt us!
:-(

i scored 5 fruit trees on sale for $5 each!!! whee!

and dang i drove past DQ like 3 times today (no i wasnt circling there are 2 in the closest town) and i totally did NOT drive thru for that blizzard but i'm weakening......