What did you do to save $ today?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Oh, I miss my breadmaker :( Have fun with yours! When I had mine, I set it on the dough cycles and then formed my usual loaves in bread pans and baked it in the oven.

Well, I stayed home tonight rather than heading to my family's for the rest of the weekend. I hated to do it, but my FIL had gifted me about 1/2 bushel of tomatoes. Since mine have blight, I couldn't let them rot on the counter. So, I have 8 quarts of salsa and probably will have about 8 quarts of sauce once it finishes cooking down. I love thinking about how much $ it saves to make your own food!

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Oh, I miss my breadmaker :( Have fun with yours! When I had mine, I set it on the dough cycles and then formed my usual loaves in bread pans and baked it in the oven.

Well, I stayed home tonight rather than heading to my family's for the rest of the weekend. I hated to do it, but my FIL had gifted me about 1/2 bushel of tomatoes. Since mine have blight, I couldn't let them rot on the counter. So, I have 8 quarts of salsa and probably will have about 8 quarts of sauce once it finishes cooking down. I love thinking about how much $ it saves to make your own food!
I have never used one..I am looking forward to playing with it tomorrow! I am going to try and learn to can sometime this month..I have to get the supplies and find a book on it. I have a bunch of jars already. I cant wait! I have started making meals from scratch, freezing veggies and such and made my own soap already. I cannot believe how much money you can save!

me&thegals

Reaction score
I get such a kick out of sitting down to a meal and realizing that everything was grown, hunted or made from scratch :) Good luck with all your canning--It really is a breeze if you follow the instructions and get a great book on CD to take you through the tedious parts!

shelleyd2008

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
This is not something I did purposely to save money, but I asked a neighbor to pick up some feed for me on her way home from work and she wouldn't let me pay her back! :lol: So I saved probably $40 :/

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I picked raspberries, more broccoli again, and cherokee black beans and cow peas. I froze the raspberries, to be used for jelly this winter. I blanched and dehydrated the broccoli, to be used in dried cream of broccoli soup. I shelled the beans and cow peas and they are finishing drying before they go into storage!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I picked a 5 gallon bucket of sweet corn and froze it. Used the stripped cobs to make corn syrup, will feed the cooked cobs to the chickens tomorrow. Picked the last of my dried beans. Put the dried lemon zest in jars. Took money out of my checking account and put it into my savings account so it can gather up some interest. I figure even if it is only in there for a month and I only get $20.00 for it, that helps.

me&thegals

Reaction score
I'm still working on the pears I picked from a friends tree: I will have about 21-28 quarts of canned pears, tons eaten!, 3 quarts dried and about 16 jelly jars of pear jelly, plus about 35 lb put in my CSA shares and to friends.

I packed the kids' lunches again today, which I do 4/5 days. With the garden going full swing, lunch is incredibly cheap. Garden carrots and friend's apples today along with their sandwish.

I also got a 6-pack of incredible biscotti from a friend yesterday, swapping her biscotti for my eggs, pears, salad and onions. Good deal for both of us!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, I saved probably about $5000 today, Saturday and Sunday (monday I went shopping with dd).

While I was waiting for my dearest hubby to build me an addition for all my critters to overwinter in, (the quail and some rabbits were outside in cages covered with tarps for rain), I decided to take the presure off him and revamp my barn to try and fit them all in. My dd and I tore down all but the horse stalls on Saturday, then started building. Hubby came home from his hunting trip and started helping. So, now, in an area 12x20, I have my rabbits, stacked three cages high; quail, stacked four cages high, nesting boxes for the chickens, and an area for the broody hen.

so, while dd and I are sad that the barn can't be exclusively used for horses, and I'm sad since I really wanted more room for more critters, this will have to do for now.

On another note, i am happy that the critters are inside-out of the elements (that are sure to come), and hubby and I are happy b/c it saved us an awful lot of work, and money not spent is put to use elsewhere.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I know how you feel.....I am re-arranging all over the place to accomodate a buck this fall, and will not be spending a penny, it looks like. Which is very cool, of course. I am even moving fences to use what I already have.

Today I cleaned the entire barn, stripped everything, since I will be out of town for almost three weeks. They can go that long easily in the nice fall weather if I bed nice and deep. I was able to use the slightly dirty shavings from Ginger's stall, which she now only uses to eat her grain twice a day then she goes back with the big girls, so it wasn't too bad. I tossed the wet spots and didn't worry about the nanny berries, and I used it in the chicken coop. Then I put fresh shavings in Ginger's stall.

Shows where the chickens are on the pecking order! :lol: