What did you do to save $ today?

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I toucheth thy nettles and got stungeth. It mattered not the manner nor the direction which I toucheth. I shall use the gloveth hand whilst commencing with thy nettles. :cool:
I kneweth it! BTW, I have heard that you can wear shorts through the patch without any harm. Can you try that out for us? :lol::gig: Before some of you were born, I helped a survey crew cut a line through some timber. That's where I learned about stinging nettle. It does command respect!

Free, just for folks who might be reading about the raspberry tea, I have read where this is not good for those who are pregnant. If anyone is going to try any of these herbal teas, they should read up on each one for themselves. Just a precaution.

Raspberry tea is excellent for a sore throat. I have read that blackberry leaf tea is a good one so I'll go down to DW's pasture and gather some so I can give them a try.

As for the nettles I have one gallon that is dry, pressed down, and shaken together. If that isn't enough to blow you away, I also have 3 gallon of wild oats, and it is dry, pressed down, and shaken together!:celebrate

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Tallman said:
I kneweth it! BTW, I have heard that you can wear shorts through the patch without any harm. Can you try that out for us? :lol::gig:
Nope, nice try. :plbb As a kid we had to pass through a patch of nettle to get to the swimming hole at the creek. In shorts, it was excruciating!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, a gallon of nettles! That is a lot of sting!

I hope to get my oats planted by the end of the month. They are a bit low on the priority right now and there is still plenty of time.

I got a big rhubarb plant and a big bunch of rhubarb to eat from my elderly friends at my religious service today, so I will have to decide whether to can or freeze it. Off to go start a thread, then get back outside on this gorgeous, chilly and windy (no biting bugs!!!) day and do some digging. Gotta get that rhubarb into the ground and prepare a few beds. Frost warning this week, so no planting yet.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, I filled my big dehydrator (dh's car! :D ) with all my trays....oregano, nettles, raspberry leaves, and the new experiment, lilac blossoms. Ran out of trays before getting to the catnip. Oh, well, there is still time, the way catnip grows and grows.

The little dehydrator in the house has another batch of oregano in it. I stripped and crumbled the first batch and it filled a quart jar to about a third full. Pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, salad dressing, adobo on a pork roast......

I prepared the foundation beds in the front and worked a bit in the front yard garden, hauled in some compost, and planted three rhubarb plants. I mulched one bed with grass clippings, the little raised bed between the driveway and a walkway to the side door of the house. This will be one of my tea gardens.

I made an attempt to trim Mya's hooves myself. I had the farrier once so far, he said she'd likely never been trimmed in her life. Her feet are like ski's, especially the hind ones. He didn't want to go too far the first time. He is experienced with goats and has been doing my pygmies once or twice a year.

I got the front ones looking pretty good. The hind ones will take a few trims, and I will have the farrier back in a month, maybe, to get the chubby pygmies done, and clean up my work on Mya.

I seem to be making this thread into my journal.... :p

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
:lol: :lol:

....well not many other people are posting how they save...

Lemme see.......

We spent some money today :( And not the saving kind of spending, but since it was Mother's Day today, we made the exception. :) I guess in the long run it will be a savings because hubby bought me an insulated replica Starbucks plastic cup, like you get the smoothies in, only it's thick and insulated.....that is my way of tricking myself later on down the road that I am drinking starbucks when I fill it with icewater :lol: :lol:

I'm a starbucks fanatic, but since we are saving money, I have cut waaaay down. Had one today for Mother's Day and got my cup. :p :love :love :love :love :love

Worked on the grocery/toiletries lists for the next upcoming two weeks. I have to figure out how to feed 6 people on less money this two weeks than I had last two weeks. This is getting harder, but only because I have less money this time than last time..bills are more this time of the month. I am going to be calling our local grocery stores to see if they double or triple coupons and go from there.

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This thread is very inspiring and I enjoy reading it.
I saved $15 yesterday. Two pound bricks of Tillamook cheese were on sale for $4.99 instead of $9.99. I bought three.

That's about it for my money saving.
OTOH I have a new bill this month for $15,000!
That is the going rate I guess for having a baby. Thank God for insurance, even if they don't cover 100%.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Alaska Animal Lover said:
This thread is very inspiring and I enjoy reading it.
I saved $15 yesterday. Two pound bricks of Tillamook cheese were on sale for $4.99 instead of $9.99. I bought three.

That's about it for my money saving.
OTOH I have a new bill this month for $15,000!
That is the going rate I guess for having a baby. Thank God for insurance, even if they don't cover 100%.
Wow!! one of the benefits of living in Canada, I guess-- my babies didn't cost anything!! Until I had to start feeding and clothing them.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have to post the canning jars I got today as a major savings. I did have to spend 23 dollars but it was cash I earned selling eggs. Soo, I aquired 8 dozen jars today thanks to my hens. I love it. :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I call that "trading for eggs!!!" And 8 dozen for $23???? WOW!

I bought 6 dozen at Walmart last week for about $48....Every time I say I'm done buying jars, I run out.

I was going to buy some dill plants today, but while preparing a garden, I found a ton of dill volunteers that I will transplant instead.

I finished up the first picking of oregano, and got three pints packed down pretty tightly. Put some more catnip in the big dehydrator, one tray for tea (tips) and two trays for the cats (bigger leaves, didn't bother washing.)

Transferred the rest of the raspberry leaves to the small dehydrator.

Transferred 5 more loads of compost to the front yard gardens, a long haul from the compost pile! One more load should do it. I had to come and have some tea with y'all first. ;) I can't imagine buying compost. I am very fortunate to have it here, turned nicely by the hens. Pulled all the big weeds in the process and put them into this year's compost pile.

Eyeballed the front yard for more garden space.....and the back yard, too....

Tonight I make cheese again, not so often now that baby Ginger is drinking 1-1.5 quarts a day. Whew.

OK, break time is over. Off to move more compost and pick some lilacs for another project tonight, while waiting on the cheese.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Front gardens are all covered in compost, waiting to be dug in. Cheese curds are warming on the stove. I picked the lilacs and made two pints of the lilac sugar, and I found a recipe for distilled rose water that I am making with more lilacs.

Pulled out the ice cream freezer and looked at it, haven't used it in at least a decade, I guess. Time to fire that bad boy up again, maybe tomorrow, with some goat's milk and farm fresh eggs.....both raw!