What did you do to save $ today?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm purchasing 10 "show quality" (thats what he said) AmeraUcauna chicks tomorrow for 5 bucks a piece. The breeder knocked off 3 bucks for each of them because he is having trouble with his 'bator eggs. I didn't want all s.q. chicks but that was all that he got, that is why he so nicely discounted them! Very nice breeder man!:D

My daughter is going to do 4h with a couple of the really good ones I will keep a roo (don't have one yet) and one good hen to add to the bunch I already have. The rest I will raise and sell as adults for the going of $25 each.

Alaska Animal Lover

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Free, I see why you love goats so much. I went to a swap meet and a woman was selling two little two week old girls with their mommy. They were so cute. I held them and they just snuggled right up.

One woman was selling a day old male without it's mommy. Is that right? It was like 12 hours old!
I saved money by not buying the baby goats!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oooooh, big brown horse, I might want one of those Ameraucauna chickies for myself. ;) Only one hen though.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Oooooh, big brown horse, I might want one of those Ameraucauna chickies for myself. ;) Only one hen though.
Drake, I was honestly going to ask you if you would be interested, you said you wanted chickens, right?

I would be honored to save one of mine for you. They are the only chicken that lays eggs that are greenish blue on the inside of the shell too.

I am soo excited too because I get to take the Kingston/Edmonds (for the first time) ferry to get there and it is going to be an awesome day for a drive out through our beautiful countryside. OMG Did you see Mt. Ranier today?? Georgous!
:cool:

lonelilly

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I made sun tea from loose tea, I thawed some home-caught fish and had it for lunch, I made some salad dressing (HATE the store bought stuff!).

This is really saving per se, but I broke down and got a heavy-duty women's Carhartt jacket for $40 at a close-out sale (I will feel very grateful for it 6 mos. from now).

I also got a starter kombucha mother for free so I can make kombucha tea!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
lonelilly said:
I made sun tea from loose tea, I thawed some home-caught fish and had it for lunch, I made some salad dressing (HATE the store bought stuff!).

This is really saving per se, but I broke down and got a heavy-duty women's Carhartt jacket for $40 at a close-out sale (I will feel very grateful for it 6 mos. from now).

I also got a starter kombucha mother for free so I can make kombucha tea!
Cool!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Alaska Animal Lover said:
Free, I see why you love goats so much. I went to a swap meet and a woman was selling two little two week old girls with their mommy. They were so cute. I held them and they just snuggled right up.

One woman was selling a day old male without it's mommy. Is that right? It was like 12 hours old!
I saved money by not buying the baby goats!
Watch out! It is VERY contagious!!!! Baby goats cause facial wrinkles. Baby goats make you smile ALL the time. Grown up goats do, too, as long as they stay contained!

That baby boy was probably being bottle fed. Bottle babies become very attached to their human mama and papa.

Baby Ginger was not bottled (in spite of my best efforts!) and she is still very attached to me, calls to me whenever she sees me and comes running. Today she was jumping in and out of the wheelbarrow while I was spring cleaning the barn and turkey pen. It slowed me down a bit, but it was SOOO worth it, I had a ball. She is stinkin' cute and I told her so about a hundred times just today.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I love wisteria! What are you going to do with your comfrey?
I'm going to try to naturalize some of it on my property, maybe put one in my garden, and meanwhile, learn about how to use it! I've read here and there about it's value as a pasture plant and as an herbal tonic, and it has medicinal properties, too.

I saved more money today by trading a bit of the comfrey for a chive plant (mine got winter-killed or something dug its roots up, maybe mice or moles) and a thyme plant. I cut the comfrey down to prepare it for planting tomorrow, and washed and set up all the leaves on trays in the big dehydrator....the car. I filled six soda-can trays with leaves and tips with buds and flowers! And I have two large cardboard boxes of plants, three very large plants and a few smaller ones. After I traded some.