What did you do to save $ today?

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went to the supermarket today and boy did I get a deal! They had packages of ground "Meatloaf Mix" (veal, beef, pork) that had been discounted in the meat department. Each package had a $3 OFF sticker on it and the prices of the packages ranged from $3.79 to $4.19. I grabbed 8 packages. I figure that the "Meatloaf Mix" cost me 78 cents a pound. It is coded for today, so I will be making lots of meatballs to freeze tomorrow.

RLAZ

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Now that the recession hit us, most of us will start lowering our buddgets for everything. I suppose it will help us become more self sufficient, too.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:D We bought a wood stove!

GOing to take us a while to figure out how to install it, but it will save on our electricity, and we do have a couple of dead tree's we can use to warm us up! (got to still chop one of those down, its leaning over a fence and not in a good position at all)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Wood stoves are so cozy on a cold night. :love
:lol: I wish we had it in tonight! Brrrrrrrrrrrr

But with any luck - a little work at a time we'll get the dern thing in by the end of the month. :gig :fl

(I looked greedily at the little wooden crate it came in - that'll burn!)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have been saving by vaccum sealing the stuff I froze and dehyrdrated last month. Yesterday I went to the Harvest fair and was offered an entry ticket for a dollar less then the cost. This group had an extra ticket, because one of them couldn't make it.
Once inside I was carefull to nly spend money on stuff I had planned ahead. Cotton candy per SO's request and a gift for his upcoming birthday. On my way out I stopped at a Hay and grain booth and talked to the guy for a bit. We drive past his place on a regular basis and I told him we had been planning to stop in. I picked up one sample dogfood package, when he asked me what I was feeding. I told him a dog, cat, chickens and a rabbit. He grabbed a small gocery bag and filled it with dogfood samples. And these were good brands too. It is probably enough food for our dog for a week.
Free is good!
Then I went back today and asked what they were doing with their hay bales. Since I asked the fellow I know from having entered so many times in the past, he said let her have them for a buck. I was only able to squeeze two into my car. But I got two bales of hay for my chickens for 2 bucks, not bad.

Then I harvested sundflower heads for next year's seed and for the chickens. The chickens also got some oversized zucchini today.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I cut down a 15 year old mulberry tree that is shading my proposed garden area, and then cut it into firewood. I am very sore, but I just saved $300 on a tree service and have a huge pile of wood as well.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
What did you use to cut up your wood Ladychef2k?

Went mushroom hunting on my land and found about $15 worth of chanterelles!! Mushroom soup coming up!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chanterelles

at your area?

you sure are lucky. I am a mushroom fan!

good hunting! I am jealous~! :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
chanterelles

at your area?

you sure are lucky. I am a mushroom fan!

good hunting! I am jealous~! :)
Thanks!

Apparently this is mushroom country. October is mushroom harvesting month, or something like that. They have guided "hunts" on the weekends around here. I only know how to identify chanterelles since I'm new.

Latest posts