What did you do to save $ today?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
You are MORE than welcome to come here and work your magic. You would be well fed and much appreciated. People's circumstances are very diverse. Some are old, infirm, poor, and without resources that would enable them to do what you have done.

I have received three estimates to have the roof replaced, and this is the ballpark. Three rooms have leaks. The patio cover has holes you can put your hand through. I have extensive rot and general deterioration. All but a few trusses have wood rot. The attic insulation is rated R2.

Perhaps the high cost of everything is a function of where I live -- California -- and the advanced stage of decay that I am dealing with in this low income housing project. Yesterday, I blew the leaves off and cut off some citrus branches that were resting on the roof. Lost about 50 composition shingles in the process.

I live on less than $50 a month, after paying bills, so of course cannot get a loan. My best option is that the roof will collapse and the insurance will replace it.

BTW, I have a rule at my house. If you mention a problem, you are taking the responsibility for fixing it. So, here are some pictures to give you an idea how much work you have ahead of you.

Picture426.jpg

Picture180.jpg

All of the drains fell off last year. I have lost about 25 linear feet of fascia to rain storms.
Picture425.jpg

I am in the process of taking down the citrus tree this week, with the help of a friend.
Picture427.jpg

ETA: Hope you "heard" my tone in certain spots as the joking one I intended.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a co-worker at my last job who lived in section 8 housing. She was 78 years old, and will be working until she is dead. Anyway, a neighbor always had extra produce, that escaped detection or produced too much. I always brought it in to Patience, who then shared it with her neighborhood. They evidently had a very large mail box that was dedicated to holding things to share with each other. She kept a small amount of what she wanted, and then put the rest in this mail box for the others.

As for your roof, how about contacting Xmas in April or Habitat for Humanity or your local charity for help? I know in San Jose and even up here, they will accept applications and then choose who will get a day or two's free labor and materials for the people who need it first to make their life more manageable. Why wait for disaster (like this coming two weeks of rain) to cave your roof in? That would be horrible and would undo all your efforts to be more self sustainable on a restricted budget by destroying the contents of your home.

Worried about you, Ldychef2k....and yes, you are so far away from me. Prob about 4 hours driving as near as I can figure.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your kindness. I so appreciate it.

Have called all available resources in the area over the years -- this was noticed first about six years ago - so far nothing has risen to the top.

I live on faith, and it is through that faith that something WILL happen, whatever it may be. I just have to have ----- PATIENCE!

What a wonderful story you shared. I am inspired....

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I took my mother to the doctors today and on our way back we stopped at the Grand Union in town. That Grand Union is being bought out by Hannafords, a Supermarket Chain in our area. All "Best Brand" items were 50% off and select merchandise of other brands were also drasticly reduced. I bought

5 cases quart canning jars (4 wide mouth, 1 regular) $2.75 each

1 cast iron skillet, seasoned (11 inch diameter) $4.00
1 cast iron skillet, seasoned (8 inch diameter) $2.25
8 lbs dried beans (black, kidney, pinto) .69 lb
4 lb barley $1.29 lb

I was doing the happy dance all the way out to the car!

:weee

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its not what I spent but what I should of....

was in a wood stove store the other day looking for cleaners for glass..

They were having an end of season sale.

Their top of the line cast iron Regency Hamptom 300 with cooktop was on sale for 1900 instead of the ususal 2400. It came with optional fan thrown in.

dh wouldnt do it. Says its two years till we need it. It will be in the way.

Soooo... we got 8 acres...how much room do you need buddy?

So dh is on th net this week looking at buying silver.....you dingaling!.. I say

You would save far more buying that wood stove now than you ever would buying silver!

I've called the wood stove store everyday for a week. I think their phone must be out. I'm gonna fax them tomorrow. They would probably even hold it for us till summer when we can get a fork lift into the property to put it under the shed.

am I nuts or what?.....I hate it when he tries to make me think I'm nuts. :barnie

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Today is a Malachi 3:10 day. The Lord has opened up a window in heaven and has overwhelmed me with so many blessings that there is no room for them all !

A dear friend whom I met through FreeCycle knows a family whose grandfather passed away recently. He was a canner. In the past 24 hours, I have received 132 quart jars, and tomorrow they have to get a truck to bring the rest, incuding half gallon and gallons. I am just floating on air. And thinking ahead to when my time to meet the Lord comes, and what my daughter is going to do with what now counts up to 1300 jars. :ep

This friend also brought me a box of Meyer lemons, and a 19 pound turkey from her freezer. Her husband tossed a $20 into one of the jars so that I can get some lids. I am seriously overwhelmed.

Her husband also has offered to do the labor on my fence rebuilding in exchange for a lasagna and a cheesecake. I think he's got himself a deal.

That must be one huge window up there in Heaven !!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My seal-a-meal wasn't working. On a whim I took it apart to see what I could do. Ended up being a stuck button. Once I took it apart, the jam undid itself.

I figure I saved myself the cost of a new machine. $74.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Her husband also has offered to do the labor on my fence rebuilding in exchange for a lasagna and a cheesecake. I think he's got himself a deal.
That sounds like a great deal, once you chain him in the backyard ask about a re-roofing deal.

After I got divorced the ladies at work had me repairing everything they could find using 5 course home cooked meals as fodder, for years I never went home hungry.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, that's great for you, but those women were kinda making fools of themselves...bless their hearts.

Latest posts