What did you do to save $ today?

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I stopped into Wally World yesterday, with my mother, to try and get 20 cent packets of seeds. I got some carrot seeds this way last year, and we are realy enjoying them now. I found the seeds and got 10 packs of carrots (heirloom tendersweet variety), 3 packs of turnip, 1 pack of cuke, and 1 pack of coleus. Each pack of seeds costs 20 cents, and yes these seeds sere packed to be sold in 2010! They had plenty of other veggie and flower varieties to choose from.

While at Wally World, I also found pull over, plus sized Hanes Her Way sweat shirts on clearence for $3! I bought a dark gray one and a light gray one. I also purchased 2 jacket zippers for $2.97 each. I am putting the zippers into the sweat shirts and will then have two "cardigan" style sweatshirts for $6 each. I hate pullovers and finding the cardigan styles in my size (cheaply) is almost impossible.

Wal Mart Clearance is my guilty pleasure. :bun

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i saved cause i did not go anywhere and as a result i didnt have to take a shower so saved water also and thats why i hate leaving the house everyday cause you have to take a shower

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am rebuilding my fence, with the help of my son-in-law. That, alone, saved me more than $1000 in labor.

I found a guy who owns a fence company and he takes the seconds that he gets and sells them dirt cheap. Fence boards, for example, at Lowe's were $4.97. He sold them for $1.15.

For the entire project, I saved more than $200 on wood alone.

Good thing, too, because my daughter and son-in-law invited me to go on a cruise with them over Easter vacation...and I can use that $200 for my spending money.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm jealous of anyone who can eat anything from their garden right now, fresh and growing! We had nachos for supper, and we used some fermented stuff from last year's garden....tomato salsa, cucumber salsa, and minced hot peppers. Along with the usual bean paste (from dry black beans I'd cooked a while ago and froze in portions), chips and cheddar, sour cream (mom prefers that to strained kefir, so we alternate) and dh cooked up the sausage we made yesterday from one of the whole pork loins.....we ground it into 10 lbs of pork and I seasoned it mostly with herbs from our garden....cayenne, oregano, basil, parsley, sage.....and some storebought garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper. Next year's goal: sausage made 100% with our own products. Here's hoping for a year dry enough to have root veggies, including onions and garlic!

Oh, we didn't eat 10 lbs of sausage....dh cooked it all up, crumbled, and froze it in gallon ziplocs for easy use in meals, eggs, on pizza, in beans, in soups, etc.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm trading a massage for 8 quarts of goats milk.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
thats why i hate leaving the house everyday cause you have to take a shower
Who says? :weee

Seriously, though, I'm kind of a hermit myself and I find the more days I can stay at home, not only does it mean I'm not spending money (unless I buy something on-line :hit) and gas but it also saves on the amount of laundry I have to do.

Of course, I do have a teenager who does shower and wear clean clothes every day.........at least during the week. On the weekends and school breaks, not so much. :rolleyes:

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I saved $700 in labor costs yesterday by building my new fence with my son-in-law! (Sneaky way to brag, isn't it?)

I actually saved another $300 on materials. I found a guy who sells seconds from his fence company for 75% less than retail.

We have two more fences to fix, but this was the worst. The others we are going to stand up the fallen parts and attach them to metal poles set in concrete.

Sorry to be so blatantly self-promoting.

Picture490.jpg

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Nice fence! :thumbsup

I'm putting up a similar fence between myself and my creepy neighbor. My son is doing all the work and it's been a "pay-as-you-go" project. There's over two hundred feet of fence and we've been working on it since last summer.

Each 8-foot section costs right around $50.00 in materials (from Home Depot).

We're down to the last 32 feet or so and I think it will finally be completed this week. :clap

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
That's a HUGE project!!! Bet you will be thrilled to get it done. Did you buy the premade panels? We almost did, until I found the backyard lumber guy!

The estimates I got for someone else to do one of the three fences was $1107. I remember it because that's my mom's address! I think that because I live in California and California dos everything possible to make it hard, our prices on everything are higher.

Anyway, we paid 75 cents for 2x4's, $2 for 4x4's, $1 for fence boards, and $4 for kickboards. I am awful at math...I THINK that's around $20 per section. We had only five sections, so that's so much less than you had. Again, horrible math, but I THINK our materials for this portion were $100, and the labor was free, of course. The pipes we are going to use will be twice that, but the neighbors have not chipped in on the shared fences, so we are going to do it this way.

Sorry, TMI, right?

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow. 75 cents for 2X4's is really good. I thought we were doing well by getting them for under two bucks at Home Depot. I think they were around $1.60 (if I'm remembering correctly) when we first started and are now $1.95. The cedar boards are $1.97 each (sixteen to a section) and the treated 4X4's are $8.97 (I happen to have my most recent receipt is how I know current exact amounts :)).