What did you do to save $ today?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I can't afford a lawnmower yet, so I just finished "mowing" 450 square feet with a weedeater. Didn't cost a dime. I hope I never have to do that again!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:welcome Warthog!

ETA: Where I have I been, you've been here for a while now. :p

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yes I have been here for a while, but doing more reading than posting.:)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My daughter has spring break this week and we have been doing day trips to different places, mostly state parks, bringing brown bag lunches.

Today we went to Fort Worden St. Park, the place where "An Officer and a Gentleman" was filmed. It was so beautiful! It is right on the Strait of Jaun de Fuca. (It has a wonderful hostel there at the park too.) The views were amazing!

We spent 2-3 hours hiking around with our dog and eating our picnic. Then we went in to town and window shopped, her with a hot cocoa and me with a hot herbal tea.

Cost: $10 for gas and $3 for our hot drinks...memories? Priceless. :p

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dh brought home 4 RIR hens that are 1 year old from work last week. A guy that he works with was thinning his flock because he has too many for his hen house. I have a small hen house with 4 hens already and needed additional space for the new 4 girls. My sister had a 3 X 5 dog house that she wanted to get rid of. DH and I took the dog house and refitted it for hens by adding a roost and a nesting box. we are going to put wheeles on it and it will be our chicken tractor for the new hens. Cost for everything (including hens) . . . FREE!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
BBH that sounds wonderful, I always loved doing that sort of thing with my DD.

I went next door yesterday to trade fertile eggs with the neighbor. I had given her some of my blue eggs last week. Now that I have a broody hen, I went to get some greenish eggs and some white eggs from her. As we were walking around and talking I spotted a wok sitting out on a table. It was a Calphalon wok. Nice and hefty, no rust except for a little on the handles and big. It said restaurant supply on it. I asked her how much she wanted for it. She said how about some cookies. Their oven broke a few years ago, so she cannot do any baking. I checked the wok out on line. I couldn't find anything even close for less than $50. And they were much smaller. I think I did good.
Oh and SO has his special homemade chocolate chip cookie dough in the fridge. So now I just need to get him to make some ;)

Today we went to get some fencing to fence in another section of the garden. We found nice tall fence marked at $57. We thought that was a fantastic price and grabbed a roll. When we got to the checkout, they rang it up at $199. :ep
We went back to the fence section of Home Depot and found a guy working there and told him what happened. We showed him the marked price above the fencing. We haggled a bit and in the end he gave us $50 off. I was trying to get it for the $57 as marked, but he wouldn't go for it. We still got a good deal. 6 x 165 ft wire mesh fence for $149. That will fence in a good sized portion of the garden! Gotta keep those chickens, goats, cats, dogs and thieves out of it!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
Dh brought home 4 RIR hens that are 1 year old from work last week. A guy that he works with was thinning his flock because he has too many for his hen house. I have a small hen house with 4 hens already and needed additional space for the new 4 girls. My sister had a 3 X 5 dog house that she wanted to get rid of. DH and I took the dog house and refitted it for hens by adding a roost and a nesting box. we are going to put wheeles on it and it will be our chicken tractor for the new hens. Cost for everything (including hens) . . . FREE!
Now that is a score!!! :clap

partyfowl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Today DH and I dug post holes for the the new garden. Its going to be 45 x 120, 7 feet tall (we have crazy deer and elk) and we already have the concrete from a leftover job and FIL has a whole lot of fence post he is giving us. All we have to buy is the fencing. I am soooo excited about all the $$ we are saving. :weee

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't think I really saved anything but justified my first visit back up north since getting my chickens by sleeping on the floor at a friends house and bringing coolers to bring home things I can't get here or are expensive. Bought 11 lb. of chicken feet at my mexican market, can't get them here. Went to my Asian market and got dirt cheap green tea, spices, condiments and sushi supplies. My favorite meat and produce store had beef soup bones and beef shanks with a ton of meat on them for a great price and baby zuchs for .38 a lb, $2.29 a lb here. Got a few canned goods and wonderful cheeses at another fave store. Brought eggs to friends and family from my girls. The look on my grand kids faces when they each got a green egg, priceless. Now I have a trusted and inexpensive chicken sitter who volunteered for the job. I am no longer unable to leave for more than over night, priceless too. I can make soup stock for the next six months so I am so happy.