What did you do to save $ today?

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Okiemommy said:
Tortoise, I love your cake!!

Is your icing and cake gluten free? If so, did you make them from scratch, or buy a mix?

We are going gfcf, and I make my kids cakes also. I'm still trying to decide on making my own, or buying the mixes. I think eventually, I will make my own from scratch...especially if it's less expensive. If it's more expensive, I will probably go for the convenience of the mix, and just do the decorating myself.
Yes - both gluten free. My mom makes almost everything gluten free from scratch, but it is DEFINITELY worth getting a mix for the cake. It was a Betty Crocker mix.

The frosting is easy:

Shortening (about 2/3 cup) creamed with powdered sugar (about 3 cups) and thinned with milk. About 1/4, but add it 1 Tbspn at a time. You can add cocoa too for chocolate. I add some brown food coloring to get it really dark.
Awesome! Thanks!! :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I answered a CL ad and picked up SIX free fleeces today!!!! I will have enough to make an entire winter wardrobe, I think! If I learn to spin, that it..... :p (somebody created a monster when they sent me the first one.... ;) )

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I feel as if I have one less load off my chest today and feel pounds lighter. We have credit debt and have finally paid off one credit card after several years of monthly payments of over $430 a month. I can now concentrate on our college loans as well as the other visa card. Both cards have been closed for a few years and we went into aggreement to pay a set fee per month. This balance is smaller than the other one ,it is about $115 a month. I am going to pay on principal as I can using the money that normally went on the other closed account to quicken this closure. I have not felt a breath of fresh air in such a very long time. We made the mess and we are cleaning it up . So glad we now can double up payments on this last account and good riddance to it. We hope to retire in 3-4 years and it will not happen living like this.........................hurrah!

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
dianer29 said:
I feel as if I have one less load off my chest today and feel pounds lighter. We have credit debt and have finally paid off one credit card after several years of monthly payments of over $430 a month. I can now concentrate on our college loans as well as the other visa card. Both cards have been closed for a few years and we went into aggreement to pay a set fee per month. This balance is smaller than the other one ,it is about $115 a month. I am going to pay on principal as I can using the money that normally went on the other closed account to quicken this closure. I have not felt a breath of fresh air in such a very long time. We made the mess and we are cleaning it up . So glad we now can double up payments on this last account and good riddance to it. We hope to retire in 3-4 years and it will not happen living like this.........................hurrah!
:thumbsup :weee :weee

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
dianer29 said:
That's awesome! Good job! I don't have a whole lot of debt but I am getting serious about paying everything I can on it!

:ya

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:thumbsup
dianer29 said:
Thats awesome, keep at it, they'll be gone before you know it, and don't get into that trap again.
We've been credit card free for about 3 years now and its great, if we can't buy something with what we have in the bank, we don't buy it! We haven't suffered yet!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Okiemommy said:
Tortoise, I love your cake!!

Is your icing and cake gluten free? If so, did you make them from scratch, or buy a mix?

We are going gfcf, and I make my kids cakes also. I'm still trying to decide on making my own, or buying the mixes. I think eventually, I will make my own from scratch...especially if it's less expensive. If it's more expensive, I will probably go for the convenience of the mix, and just do the decorating myself.
Yes - both gluten free. My mom makes almost everything gluten free from scratch, but it is DEFINITELY worth getting a mix for the cake. It was a Betty Crocker mix.

The frosting is easy:

Shortening (about 2/3 cup) creamed with powdered sugar (about 3 cups) and thinned with milk. About 1/4, but add it 1 Tbspn at a time. You can add cocoa too for chocolate. I add some brown food coloring to get it really dark.
Or Butter! Butter is wonderful in home made buttercream, and better for you :)

Thank Cake is adorable! Nice job!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
:thumbsup
dianer29 said:
Thats awesome, keep at it, they'll be gone before you know it, and don't get into that trap again.
We've been credit card free for about 3 years now and its great, if we can't buy something with what we have in the bank, we don't buy it! We haven't suffered yet!
Congrats dianer29!

Us too Wildsky, no CCs here....pay cash or don't buy.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BTW, Washington is telling us that we will be taxed on everything, now. Good time to stock up on non-perishables. I have enough tp and paper towels until Feb., 2011. I'm on my way to having enough detergent (for clothes), Dawn for dishes, and soap and shampoo for one year.