What did you do to save $ today?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was a bit addicted to the discount and salvage store and had way too much stuff that I didn't use.....but I found that storing food satisfied that need to have "stuff." I started with herbs like oregano and basil and parsley, grown in a small garden. It is a good idea to put them in pretty jars (I love the old glass-top canning jars and have a small collection of the pint ones and a large collection of quarts) and leave them on the counter for a few days after filling them so you can admire them properly. Just keep them out of direct sunlight. If you don't crush the herbs but leave the leaves kinda whole they retain their flavor longer.....and fill more jars, looking like you have even more stocked up.

Really, I think shop-a-holics are mostly women who have not tapped into their natural desire to have a nice, secure supply of food in the cupboards! :p

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Potty Training my Son!!! :weee :th

Bought an ounce of mesculin mix, which will give us that expensive "spring salad mix" at the grocery store for 2 years, for $6! It's $5 a BAG here, and I am going to get endless bags this season. Then, I am going to save seeds, so this $6 of mix will last us...uhh...forever? ;)

Letting my duck sit broody on her nest to hatch out ducklings so we can have duck meat :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I was a bit addicted to the discount and salvage store and had way too much stuff that I didn't use.....but I found that storing food satisfied that need to have "stuff." I started with herbs like oregano and basil and parsley, grown in a small garden. It is a good idea to put them in pretty jars (I love the old glass-top canning jars and have a small collection of the pint ones and a large collection of quarts) and leave them on the counter for a few days after filling them so you can admire them properly. Just keep them out of direct sunlight. If you don't crush the herbs but leave the leaves kinda whole they retain their flavor longer.....and fill more jars, looking like you have even more stocked up.

Really, I think shop-a-holics are mostly women who have not tapped into their natural desire to have a nice, secure supply of food in the cupboards! :p
I think you are right, Free, how interesting. I'd love to see a picture of the herbs in jars. I bet your house is cool!

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I decided to revitalize the kids bathroom. After pricing new vanities, I decided to try painting the existing one. One coat of primer and two coats of semigloss white and it looks amazing. I did splurge on some new draw pulls because the existing ones were dreadful. I also managed to fix the towel bar that was constantly getting pulled off the wall....it should stay fixed if my DS doesn't decide to swing on it...grrrr. I also sanded and spray painted the somewhat rusty register vent instead of buying a new one. I <3 rustoleum!

If the vanity looks as good as I think it will once I get the new handles on, I think I am going to paint the one in the other bathroom instead of replacing it. I already have the new sink so I will just have to get the countertop. I figure I save at least $400 by not replacing them.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I sold my Japanese maple tree today for $25! Yippee! I got it as a twig from a friend. I needed to get rid of it this year because it needed moving from the holding garden (getting too big) and the spot I originally intended for it is now my raspberry patch.....focus on food!

The money will go towards wood for a grape arbor. Two vines survived the winter, a concord that was given to me when I was answering ads for acorns for my pigs, and one I bought and no longer remember what it was....it was one of the few red eating grapes that survive here in MA. Catawba, maybe? That sounds familiar....anyhoo, now I can start my arbor, at least the two posts that the two vines will need to get started on this year.

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Harvested another bunch of radishes today :) Will roast them in some butter for dinner tonight or tmw. Yum Yum! :)

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
making salad from my garden, for free

feeding my chicks from said garden.

Ate the hens egg for breakfast.

Gave dog a couple of the older more questionable eggs.

put some leftover compost into the empty older pots laying around and prepared them to add seed. Gonna spend some time this evening picking what Im gonna add.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I snacked on carrot thinnings from my garden. I also went to work, and am decluttering the house, making a smidgen of cash in the process. I'm planning a yard sale for next weekend.