What did you do to save $ today?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, this isn't really saving money, but I have to report it. For the first time ever, I sold perennial thinnings on craigslist intsead of giving or throwing them away. So far, I've made $75 towards my plant and seed purchases and for wood to make a grape arbor. Amazing. And I always give people about ten times the plants for the advertised price and feel great about it, and they leave happy. And I still have plants to give away to my friends. Ain't perennials grand? :p

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've started drying my laundry on the lines outside (that I hung last week) instead of in the dryer.

JLMom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Today was my daughters "bridging ceremony" when she went from being a Brownie to becoming a Girl Scout. I volunteered to bring the cake. So I baked a cake from scratch (including chocolate icing and vanilla frosting filling).

Please don't point out that it would have been cheaper not to volunteer at all!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
JLMom i rather think you made an investment into your child by setting a positive example, and doing such a nice thing. Money isn't everything ya know ;) Thanks just for being a good mom, there are so many who aren't :)

I didn't save any money today. I also didn't make any, or spend *much*...so..hehe guess I'm good then, right? Oh I did pick some peppers and dig some taters from the garden. See..money saved then. :D I just had to talk to myself for a minute to figure it out :lol:

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
JLMom i rather think you made an investment into your child by setting a positive example, and doing such a nice thing. Money isn't everything ya know ;) Thanks just for being a good mom, there are so many who aren't :)

I didn't save any money today. I also didn't make any, or spend *much*...so..hehe guess I'm good then, right? Oh I did pick some peppers and dig some taters from the garden. See..money saved then. :D I just had to talk to myself for a minute to figure it out :lol:
Agree x2

And I'm totally jealous, able to pick peppers and already dig taters! Heck, I finally got my plants in the garden this last weekend and we still have some seeds to go in. I'm hoping I get something from my garden this year. Sigh.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love Crystal Light iced tea, but because it's pricey, the only time I buy it is when I can get it BOGO. A few weeks ago I experimented when making it and added twice the amount of water. I actually like it better watered down this way, not as "tangy".

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The temps here for the past few days have been hot and humid for us - mid 90s with 60+% humidity.

We have been eating lots of salads or foods that can be grilled so we don't heat up the house cooking.

We don't have a/c. So for the past few days, all the fans (ceiling and floor) have been running non-stop on high. This morning our temps dropped 20 and the wind picked up to 20 mph. So I shut all the floor fans off.

I haven't baked since May 29th, which TR is taking as a personal hardship! :lol:

It isn't much; but it is what we have been doing. ;)

moneysavingmomma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well Sunday I spent the day making my own "boxed mixes" thanks to some wonderful ideas here. Now that I have them my life is still easy and I don't have to spend all that money on MSG! I also baked my first 2 loafs of bread which turned out fairly well. I only shopped the outer section of the grocery this week and the baking/spice section so our grocery bill seemed to be really high until I got home and realized I had enough grocerys for 2 weeks with making my own mixes and using fresh veggies. Also made my own powder laudry detergent on Mon. and all purpose cleaner and homemade dog treats on Tues. (which my dog LOVES).SO SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THIS NEW LIFE!!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
moneysavingmomma said:
Well Sunday I spent the day making my own "boxed mixes" thanks to some wonderful ideas here. Now that I have them my life is still easy and I don't have to spend all that money on MSG! I also baked my first 2 loafs of bread which turned out fairly well. I only shopped the outer section of the grocery this week and the baking/spice section so our grocery bill seemed to be really high until I got home and realized I had enough grocerys for 2 weeks with making my own mixes and using fresh veggies. Also made my own powder laudry detergent on Mon. and all purpose cleaner and homemade dog treats on Tues. (which my dog LOVES).SO SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THIS NEW LIFE!!!
Thanks for bringing these up. I really should make some more of my own mixes, because we often are too tired to make stuff from scratch after a full day's work on the farm.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I made 5 gallons of laundry soap yesterday. I am selling some of it, and it will pay for ordering more supplies, so I'm happy with free laundry soap for a while :D