What did you do to save $ today?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Godchild and I made lotion. She used some kind of tea in her mix.
I used plantain and elder from my yard. The beeswax was my own. Not sure what it would have costed us to buy that amount of lotion, filled with chemicals.

IW

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Bought some more canning jars and baking supplies to see if I can get hubby off grocery store doughnuts and breads. Wish me luck...:lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Luck! You have your work cut out for you.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yesterday we slaughtered 24 meat chickens, and will be canning them today

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Was planing to go to the store,because the kids do not like the dry milk.Ah,but it is snowing.Sooooooo that means I saved probably $50 by staying home. I always buy more at the store than my planned purchase.Kids will just have to suck it up and drink the instant stuff.

BarredBuff- do you skin the chickens during slaughter to avoid the feather plucking part? I was thinking I might pluck 1 or 2,but skin the rest.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The question wasn't directed to me, but! :) We skinned the few that we did.

Speaking of chicken skins, I use whole chickens to make dog food. I keep the chicken skin and fat in a zipper bag in the freezer. It doesn't take long to get enough to render. The clean fat goes in a jar in the frig, the crispy skin goes in my stomach. Yum.

And that's what I'm doing today, rendering chicken fat. I love cooking with that stuff - frying, dumplings, meat pie crusts, etc.

Oh, BTW, I can get packages of trimmed fat from my grocery store for free, so there's always fat for critters.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yes always skinning because the plucking gets old! Especially since we home can it

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I was begginning our normal annual New Years meal yesterday, when my neighbor showed up, asking me if I wanted some ducks. Her husband is kinda trigger happy and he shot his limit for the day on wild duck and prairie hen.
They gave me 5 ducks that I was plucking, then she returns telling me that her husband wanted to know if I wanted the prairie hens.....he had skinned them and removed the breasts and the rest was mine. It took me a while to finish all that, but I hate to see waste and in truth, I will get a lot of meat from it. I have 4 sandwich bags with the giblets, which I will use to make rice dressing mix and I'll have about 7 meals from the hens.....one really nice meal with the ducks. And I think I can safely say, I can sew the casing for a pillow....I believe I probably have just about enough feathers to stuff it.
All it probably costed me was work.