What Did You Ferment Today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm sure your birds loved that treat! 🥰
Yep not even a speck left 👍

So when making Stacey's ACV recipe, she tells you to stir it every day for two weeks. Well stirring means taste test to me. I found day 10, is a delighful sweet apple cider. So I decided to ferment up a batch of sweet apple cider for Thanksgiving dinner. I used ripe organic red delicious apples.

Screenshot_20231112_184220_Gallery.jpg

I'll see what becomes of it. I'll never know unless I try, besides I enjoy fermenting.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stacey's ACV recipe update.

Mother (SCOBY) beginning to form on top of the apple cider. It's interesting to me to see a new momma forming on top of the apple cider. The new momma will ensure all the sweetness is eaten, PH is set and the end the results should be home made apple cider vinegar. For us, it looks like we may have found a new use for apple skins and cores. Still have a ways to go before finished product though, but it's encouraging so far 👍
Screenshot_20231121_111523_Gallery.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just stirred, it tastes delightful. I'm going to leave as is and ask if people want to try it. If so, I'll strained it and warm up in a pan, feed the apple chunks to the fowl. If not, I'll continue to stir it once everyday and then strain in 4 days to produce apple cider vinegar.
Screenshot_20231123_130157_Gallery.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Farmbabe, my mother in law and my daughter in laws sampled the sweet apple cider and agreed they all wanted some. So we strained about 3/4 of the sweet apple cider and heated it in a pan. We all had some, even my grand kids liked it, so it was a hit.
Screenshot_20231123_200144_Gallery.jpg

I made sure it was heated up well (see pasteurization link below). There wasn't any left in the pan so no need to be concerned about any left over.

My daughter in law helped me put the strained apples back in the jar and I topped it off with Walmart spring water and stirred in 3/4 cup of organic cane sugar. I'll now treat it like beginning a new batch of ACV and follow Stacey's recipe from the beginning, with hopes it will eventually become apple cider vinegar. If it doesn't become ACV, atleast we got to drink some delightful homemade sweet apple cider vinegar at Thanksgiving 👍

P.S. I was being cautious heating the sweet apple cider according to pasteurization temperature and duration. I thought it the right thing to do, any alcohol present is greatly reduced, plus warm apple cider is more better 😋

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter did you have home raised 🦃 for dinner? The holiday made me think about it.

You haven't mentioned turkeys, ducks, chickens in a while. 🤔 I always enjoyed your Bourbons -- they're my fav as to "looks" for turkey. 😄. The Royal Palm are lovely, if they don't get dirty! :lol:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter did you have home raised 🦃 for dinner? The holiday made me think about it.

You haven't mentioned turkeys, ducks, chickens in a while. 🤔 I always enjoyed your Bourbons -- they're my fav as to "looks" for turkey. 😄. The Royal Palm are lovely, if they don't get dirty! :lol:

Not this year, not a single turkey egg hatched. Still have a tom and three hens and hope for a spring hatch.

Latest posts