What discontinued foods do you miss?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
So, have they discontinued foods that you loved?

Someone has a thread about split pea soup that got me thinking.

My brothers, sister and I were reminiscing about a powdered sour cream packet that our mother used instead of real sour cream. I'm sure it was nothing but powdered milk and chemicals and by today's standards a non food, but we miss it. I don't know if it was made by Lawry's or McCormick or another company. Carried by Krogers.

Also Keebler eliminated their double fudge chocolate sandwich cookie a few years ago. Probably wise in the greater scheme of things for my diet.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of my favorite things in the world when I was a kid was to go to my aunt's house and drink her eggnog flavored Ovaltine. Oh, I loved that stuff so much. Haven't seen it in years so I'm assuming it's been d/c'd.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My mom would be right there with ya on the packets of sour cream powder. She never made stroganoff again after they quit selling those! :p

My biggest regret is probably Godiva "Belgian Dark Chocolate" ice cream. Oh man oh man was that GOOOD. They stopped making the whole line of Godiva ice cream about 3 (?) yrs ago and life has not been the same. Although, I have probably lost (well, failed to gain) a few pounds as a result <g>

Mostly I miss older versions of brands that still exist but have been changed and cheapened too much. Old-style Tastykakes (I am from the Philly area :p) back when they still came in waxpaper wrappers. Breyers mint chocolate chip ice cream, back before they pumped it all up with too many artificial stabilizers and quietly changed it to "mint chocolateY chip".

If you'd have asked me this about 8 years ago, I would have said that one of my biggest supermarket-food regrets was that I'd never again get to taste the Quisp breakfast cereal that I rememberd so fondly from childhood (and yet survived <g>); but then I was at a conference in Madison WI and found it on the shelves there, I actually mailed home all my laundry so I could stuff my carry-on bag with boxes of Quisp :D Now that I've had it as an adult, I feel no particular desire to have it again <snort>, but boy did that ever make me happy :)

I also miss my mom's chicken croquettes, which are effectively "discontinued" since she has not made them for 30 yrs now and does not even remember quite how anymore, and the written recipe she theoretically used just does not come out right for me no matter how hard I try. Sigh.

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nothing comes to mind
if something went away--I adapted fine..lol

worst for me was my location change

I miss so many Northern products. Being in the South I can't get tons of what I used to eat. Miss that-----but of course I gained alot of good southern stuff tho.

My bro comes down from NJ a few times a year to visit....we get the care package of great northern products thank goodness.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I miss so many Northern products. Being in the South I can't get tons of what I used to eat.
Ha, ever since I moved away from NC (was there for 6 yrs for grad school) I have been direly missing bbq and decent hushpuppies, and "sweet" being the default condition for ice tea in restaurants :)

I can make a decent fake bbq (better than nothing, after almost 20 years without, anyhow), but seem unable to get the hang of hushpuppies alas!

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Pat
yes the bbq down south puts shame to the northern bbqs...LOL

I chatted with my mom the other day that it is time for me to get online and just order and have shipped what I want. The old internet means I truly can have anything I desire..LOL

hmm...hate that ship cost tho. haha

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Some hush puppies use a hint of sauerkraut juice in the batter.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A thick fake but so so good and creamy tasing shake. It was a powder, and you added milk, and shook and shook and it got thick, and boy was it good! Yes, probably all chemicals.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm, can't think of any grocery type right now. But one thing I am missing is some form of quality at restaurants. The last 2 times we went out it was nasty. Red Lobster served us mush that was supposed to be fish, and the local pub did the same thing. They both used to be really good for a fried fish fix. We rarely go out so it was so disappointing.

Latest posts