What discontinued foods do you miss?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I went into deep dark depression when the girl scouts no longer offered "Savannahs". Until I found out they just changed their names to "Do-si-dos". WHEW!!!! :p

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Noodles Romanoff!
No idea who made it but I have been successful replicating it with real sour cream and the cheese packet from Kraft macaroni and cheese. I don't miss it so much now. My mom embraced packaged convenience foods with a passion, lol!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Mail ordering works both directions FC -- every few years I have to mailorder (at quite unreasonable expense) a couple cases of Blenheim ginger ale from SC to pick up at my parents' place in PA.

Anyone who likes ginger ale, esp. if you like real 'hot' spicy ginger flavor, you have GOT to try Blenheim's, it is just amazing.

And I'd better not EVER be mentioning it in a "discontinued foods" thread, either. They are not ALLOWED to go out of business til I am safely in the grave! LOL

Pat

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Our family only got Little Tom's (sylvie, thanks for the memory!) soda when there was a large family get together.

Other than that we drank water, hand squeezed lemonade, or ice tea (lemon no sugar). Although I think my younger sisters may have actually gotten Kool-Aid to drink (which was 10 packets for $1 at Fisher Foods or the A&P) - OH BOY! :lol:

Pat, I agree that Breyer's changes are such a disappointment; TR was addicted to Mint Chocolate Chip and is not impressed by the chocolatey mint chip stuff they sell now. Not to mention that they are no longer 1/2 gallon containers either.

We didn't eat much processed food when we were growing up. Mom was a make it from scratch person. Which explains a lot about me. ;)

The only exception I can think of was the "big treat" of Little Tom's soda when it was dad's side of the family reunion time. :D

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Pillsbury Double Dutch Fudge Buttercream Frosting Mix. My mom used to make Tunnel of Fudge cakes with it back in the 60's and 70's. They were fantastic.

There are a lot of recipes for a lot of "almost" copies, but none that we have tried have ever equaled the fudgey (is that a word?...) center and the brownie like cake. Heaven in a bundt pan!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Pillsbury Double Dutch Fudge Buttercream Frosting Mix. My mom used to make Tunnel of Fudge cakes with it back in the 60's and 70's. They were fantastic.

There are a lot of recipes for a lot of "almost" copies, but none that we have tried have ever equaled the fudgey (is that a word?...) center and the brownie like cake. Heaven in a bundt pan!
k0xxx - I recently took out a copy of the Pillsbury Bake Off cook book from my local public library. Pillsbury has published a recipe to replace the original and it is supposed to be as good as the original. You might want to check that out. I never had the original version, so I can't confirm whether the recipe is as good.

edited for typo

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
They still make it, but we can't get it here - Sanders Hot Fudge. And Vernor's Ginger Ale. I was born in Michigan and we always had both.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I miss casual lunches with my single girlfriends.
stagmeal.jpg

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Wish I could take credit for the title of this dish, but the only way I can post it is to make sure no one thinks I wrote it:

yetidick.jpg

"Broiled Yetti Penis"

I hate it that it has been taken off the market....

Latest posts